1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online Platform wasting our time

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by ladyhawk, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but Tutor Hunt has started doing something really strange, and I wondered if anyone else had noticed anything similar. I have started getting enquiries that are dated up to three years ago. Some of them are from contacts that did not go anywhere, while others are new to me.

2. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

No, this hasn't happened to me. My main annoyance is First Tutors nagging for a decision to be made after a ridiculously short interval (sometimes less than 24 hours).

3. gainly

gainly Established commenter

No I haven't had this happen. I've had my status as inactive since May as I was already fully booked but I don't suppose that would affect old enquiries being sent. Could it be your email rather than Tutor Hunt? I did once receive an email which had been sent over a year previously (not about tuition).

4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

From the other side....

I have found tutors on tutor hunt many times

I search by location, and contact 10-20 tutors within reach. From that I would expect maybe 3, 4 or 5 replies, maybe saying they are available, maybe turning me down. I then choose between the ones who say they are available, and set up times and dates before paying ( you do have to write the numbers s words.... eg half past seven, rather than 7.30pm) then I let any others know that I am sorted.

We have always paid and booked with 24-36 hours of our first inquiry, and it may be months or over a year before I go back onto tutor hunt again after that, I do sometimes see that other tutors have replied days later, but I won't have seen that at the time.

Tutorhunt has also taught me that there are certain words I can't stand to see education professionals describe them selves as.

I never respond to anyone who describes themselves as "passionate" :eek:

Last time, very close to A levels when my child was on the brink of giving up on one subject, we found an excellent tutor that turned the situation around.

I chose him from the responses I got because his response to my initial inquiry made him sound like he knew what he was doing. Instead of summarising his fantastic achievements, like some do, he asked questions about the board, previous grades, grades in other subjects, areas of weakness, etc.

He was also the most expensive - more than double some of the others, but we chose him because he was confidence inspiring.

I don't know if you people on Tutorhunt would approve of our selection methods or not! But it has always worked for us, four times now, different children, different situations, different subjects.

I intend to try and find a tutor for myself for a subject I have a private interest in shortly too

sabrinakat, Mrsmumbles and Vince_Ulam like this.
  5. gainly

gainly Established commenter

As a tutor the thing I find annoying is when people contact lots of tutors, clearly without even having looked at their profiles never mind reading them.

6. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

The myth persists among parents that a teaching qualification, where held, confers knowledge of & skill in all subjects.

7. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I do not think so. I get the usual email, telling me 'your profile has been viewed', and when I follow this up on the T H website, I find that parent last visited the it a long while ago, or the 'someone has contacted you' message comes up, only to find that the message was sent ages ago.

T H has been getting flaky recently. I am fed up of getting requests from parents sometimes hundreds of miles away, or who do not state in which subjects they want tuition.

8. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

I know the feeling. I recently had some stupid boy who, after a few exchanges, asked to meet in East Finchley, despite my profile very clearly stating that students have to come to me. Needless to say, this led to his immediate rejection.
    One of the ways I try to filter out the rubbish is by always cutting and pasting (to save my time) a few questions for students to answer about themselves. And, as I've said before, I'd always advise never to accept a request for availability that gives no information about the student.

9. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

That is such a nice post and really encourages me to stick with them. Hope you wrote him a nice review and agreed to be a referee...it’s all change at TH now!

10. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

yes, gave him a lovely review!

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  11. Mrsmumbles

Great idea about the cut and paste! Very good!

12. Mrsmumbles

Well it's getting that way now, though, isn't it? They're not getting enough PGCE graduate experienced teachers through the doors nowadays. 35K is too much for a 10 hour a day slog with constant stress and bullying. This is the era of the cover supervisor culture. I probably could knock out a bit of online French and History tuition. Did them at GCSE and A level. I sell all pies to all punters, me!