1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online Platform wasting our time

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by ladyhawk, Feb 19, 2018.

1. ladyhawk

ladyhawk New commenter

Be aware that Tutor Hunt are recommending that prospective tutees contact several tutors at once re. tuition. I find this quite insulting to busy professionals as whilst we are negotiating days/times we are holding those slots open. It also shows that parents are not really thinking about the best match for their son or daughter. I will no longer be keeping slots open and it will be the responsibility of Tutor Hunt to repay any fee that I am then unable to honour if I have, in the meantime, given the slot to another student.

2. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

It is clear that most people who contact me via Tutor Hunt haven't bothered to read my profile.

doctoryes and needabreak like this.
  3. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

At least they haven't provided a template that allows lazy students/parents to send off a a scatter gun message simply asking for one's availability.
    I regard it as totally unacceptable to contact a tutor without having carefully read their profile. Also unacceptable is that after having had the opportunity to do so you provide no information about yourself.
    I regularly have to reject prospective students because they are too rude and lazy to reply to a request for the bare minimum of information about themselves, which would take them just a couple of minutes to input. I always tell them that they are being rejected because of their bad manners and laziness, and that a good tutor is doing the student a massive favour, rather than the other way around. I'd love to see the look on their faces when they get my rejection.

sabrinakat and cwilson1983 like this.
  4. David Getling

Quick update. Had a really good laugh a few seconds ago when a different tutor site told me that someone I rejected for their rudeness and laziness is still looking for a tutor. If they contact me through this site I'll take great pleasure in rejecting them again.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  5. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I've pretty much stopped answering those empty requests.
    If i have answered and said a slot is available i then tell them to double check before they pay any money
    The decent ones reply straight away anyway and the ones who leave it a couple of days usually lead nowhere

needabreak likes this.
  6. gainly

I used not to answer silly requests (e.g. for subjects I don't teach) but now that they show the response rate, I feel obliged to make some response however brief.

7. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

I agree that it's immensely frustrating that prospective tutees send a generic message that demonstrates they haven't glanced at your profile nevermind read it.

I've had tutees purchase my details despite me teaching a different exam specification to the one their child is following, not to mention requests for when I am available (it's on my ****** profile!).

I tend to avoid interacting with such requests beyond a polite thanks -but- no thanks response.

8. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Tutor Hunt is the only site through which I have gained students but it does seem to be going downhill now, for the reasons others have pointed out. Lately, I have had requests for subjects I do not teach, and from ludicrous locations (Notably, one from Scotland! I boggled when I saw on the site that the student was over 400 miles away). I find it very annoying when it is obvious that parents are not taking the trouble to read my profile before making contact.

doctoryes likes this.
  9. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

I had a request from a student who doesn't even live in the UK from a location more than 1000 miles away. I am not listed as an on-line tutor, so am not sure how they thought a lessons would be carried out!
    I have found that most of the tutees who post tutor wanted adverts on this site (often containing minimal information about their requirements) are too lazy to remove these posts after they have paid for my details.

10. ladyhawk

ladyhawk New commenter

I have found that I now get fewer requests from online sites as we are competing with unqualified cheap tutors. There needs to be a site that will only promote qualified teachers so that parents understand that we are experts in our subjects. Most of my referrals come directly through local schools which makes life easier.

11. David Getling

Yes, Ladyhawk, it's amazing how many choose someone cheap and/or who will come to their home, rather than someone good. Though, as I've said many times, these are the same kind of people who convince themselves that the jaguar being sold for a few hundred pounds is a great bargain that only they were clever enough to spot.

needabreak likes this.
  12. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

A good idea, @ladyhawk. A look at the list of would be tutors on the Tutorhunt website reveals that, as @David Getling put it, 'everyone and his dog' is offering tuition at knock down rates. Lately, I have noticed that a get an email alert that someone has looked at my profile, when look at the student's profile, it does not even say in which subjects tuition is required! Another annoyance is agencies masquerading as parents, who give themselves away by wanting tuition in too many subjects, at all the Key Stages.

13. jammie76

jammie76 New commenter

I' m having the same problem. I clearly state primary so why email me with students for gcse? Not had one good lead. Waste of time. Will stick to my other site.

14. gainly

If you search Tutor Hunt as a student for a tutor in (say) A level maths it will list every tutor in the area who offers maths, even those who only offer primary. Since many people don't even bother to look at the tutor's profile before contacting the tutor, this is probably why it produces so many stupid enquiries..

15. Jolly_Roger12

Jolly_Roger12 Occasional commenter

This situation with Tutor Hunt is getting silly! In the last week, I have had enquiries from people in North Wales, Derbyshire, and Dorset, and these are only the most outlandish ones. I have heard that parents can see you 'reply rate' on your profile, which will go down if you ignore this silliness.

16. gainly

I have started copying and pasting my availability from my profile into the reply box when I get silly requests via Tutor Hunt. You can then close the conversation which stops them contacting you again.

17. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Ah, the Bad Penny client....

18. gainly

I've always had some odd requests from Tutor Hunt but it seems to be getting worse. I've recently had requests for piano lessons from someone 100 miles away and for primary Greek lessons. I teach maths, physics and chemistry. I'm thinking of removing my profile, as you really have to reply to keep the response rate up and it's becoming more trouble than it's worth.

19. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Occasional commenter

I am having the same experience. I am loathe to dump Tutor Hunt, as it is the only agency through which I have got an clients but, as you say, the need to keep replying to all these silly requests is becoming a pain.