1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online Nature Watch

Discussion in 'Primary' started by LivvieHoar, Sep 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. LivvieHoar

LivvieHoar New commenter

Hello,

I am currently working in a bilingual school in China and we are about to start a unit on Living/Non-living things. One of the objectives is about recognising the difference between animals that have live offspring and animals that lay eggs. Naturally I wanted to get an incubator and hatch some eggs. However, regulations and other constraints have meant that this is not possible. I have also try to reach out to support from local farms with no luck. I am sure it exists (eggists) but does anyone know where I can find an online resource of eggs hatching - I know there would be videos on YouTube but we were hoping to do some daily observations. So an archived video diary would be PERFECT - but also very specific. Anyone have any ideas or nuggets of wisdom?

Thank you in advance!

2. aqureshi_work

aqureshi_work New commenter

Hi there,
    I found your query quite interesting because its true every school's regulations are different and I too would be quite disappointed if I wouldn't be able to do a live hatching with my class. However, there are some great alternative resources online that can support your lessons. Here are some of the best day-to-day embryo development and hatching vidoes and resources I could find. I hope it helps!

VIDEOS:
    This video's imagery is more what you would traditionally see from holding the egg up to a lamp

Here's a great time-lapse animation video by Australian poultry experts (I would also printscreen the daily developments to make posters as it's really well labled)

WEBSITES:
    Depending on your age group this website has a day to day documentation that has a lot of detail
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1459/embryonic-development-day-by-day/

RESOURCES:
    Lastly, Pinterest has gathered a lot of fun and creative documentation exercises that you would go alongside the video
    https://www.pinterest.ch/pin/181269953723748449/?lp=true

Hope you find something useful, let me know how it goes!