1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online maths A level recommendations

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Tippi, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Tippi

Tippi New commenter

I teach in a special school and am teaching quite a bit of maths - though maths is not my degree subject. Most of the teaching is mid to low GCSE which I can manage. I've done some revision and can comfortable hit an A* on the old GCSE papers but I'd like to further my own maths skills and am thinking of enrolling for an online AS maths course. Does anyone have any recommendations for online learning colleges in general and maths in particular? Also, any advice on which units to choose other than the core ones?

2. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

C1 and 2, Stats 1, Mechanics 1 and Decision 1 should cover all options at AS. Then C3 and 4 for A level (along with the other AS modules). The other modules if Further Maths is your goal. I'm open to correction from some more experienced souls in here.

As for courses, can't help you there, sorry.

edited for a little more clarity.

3. colinbillett

colinbillett Occasional commenter

Forget Decision Maths - it is off the A'level specifications from 2017, and only available as options in Further Maths. The new specs are Pure 1, Pure 2, and a third paper which is a mixture of Stats and Mechanics.
    MEI, for example, say 'The new A levels in Mathematics will all have the same content – this has been decided nationally. The content includes some mechanics and some statistics as well as more or less the same pure content as the current mathematics A levels.'
    As to courses, I get adverts daily enticing me to enrol, so there must be plenty of online courses available. However, I've no experience so can't advise on quality.

4. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

We have used FMSP for students who could not fit Further Maths into our timetable blocks, or for talented students who wanted to do, say, three sciences and Further Maths in-house, and then single maths under their own steam. There are two routes: Live interactive lectures is cheapest and could be used to study either straight Maths (although I don't think they offer anything for the Core modules) or Further Maths. They also do the more expensive Live online tutorials which gives much closer guidance.
    We've also used this group for CPD - they use the same platform to run excellent series of interactive lectures on teaching most of the key modules.
    I would definitely recommend this. But then, I have no experience of any other online source of A-level tutorial so don't know how they would compare.

5. sarahtaylor999

sarahtaylor999 New commenter

I love m4ths and have been getting my students to watch the videos, clear easy to follow great . You have all the topics with videos and worksheets. You could also pay the £5 and get a disk with the answers for all the worksheets ( advice don't loose it like I did so now spending ages working them all out but it's one of those pleasure pain things!!!!!)

6. Informant

Informant New commenter

If you google examsolutions, I think you'll find exactly what you want. Short video clips cover every topic specific to the exam board of your choice. In view of the new A-level content I suggest you look at C1/C2 for AS level (C3/C4 later if you complete that). The new A-level will include content from M1 and S1, though I suspect not in entirety.

I haven't used their "forum" (it's a menu option with a Facebook page), but the fact it has over 16000 members and the latest post was 3 mins old when I looked a moment ago, tells you there must be something remarkably attractive or useful on this site.

7. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Agree, Exam Solutions really good; have them and more here.

Informant likes this.
  8. Apple101

Apple101 Occasional commenter

Well Its free and good!

Exam Solutions is the one!

I would start working through the AS Maths. Its pretty easy to be able to reach A grade standard so I don't think it will take that long. To get 90+ takes longer. So start working through that.

Informant likes this.
  9. crashMATHS

crashMATHS New commenter

For practice material, you may find useful:

www.crashmaths.com/gcse-practice-papers and www.crashmaths.com/a-level-practice papers

There are some (but not many) tutorials on the site, but I'm more into the question-writing game at the moment.

In terms of content, it depends on what exactly you're after. If you're looking to actually sit a formal qualification in light of a specification, then something specific would be good. Otherwise, if you're just intrigued into learning some more rigorous maths, you can find a variety of lecture courses on YouTube that will very quickly raise your level of maths. Just search calculus lecture course or trigonometry lecture course or (my current personal favourite) analysis lecture course and you'll find tonnes!

I also recommend, www.madasmaths.com which contains material much similar to mine and has some challenging non-trivial questions to practise from.