1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online Masters in Education

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by v12, Mar 26, 2012.

1. v12

v12

Is that the same as a Master's Degree?
    These normally take at least two years to complete part-time and require some contact with the awarding university or college, otherwise they will certainly be regarded as somewhat inferior.
    Institutions that award such on-line degrees are sometimes known as 'degree-mills' - especially if they offer you extra credits for, say, being alive or some spurious work experience.

2. Actually, I have a reputable Masters from the University of Bath in the UK. It was done via Distance Learning, and some of that can involve summer school and study centres at different places around the world, depending on your time limitations and subject interests, or the whole thing can be completed on your own. It is very flexible. It is around £700 a unit (5 units) plus a dissertation which is more expensive. I thoroughly enjoyed it, learned a great deal, the tutors were excellent and I can recommend it.

3. Oxford Brookes University in the UK used to have a very good course. I am not certain if it is still running. It was, like the Bath course, a distance learning course.

4. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

www.open.ac.uk
    One of the oldest providers for online degrees. I'm studying towards my M.Ed at the moment and am enjoying the challenge of revisiting pedagogy and child pyschology. Yes my main incentive is career but not just that - it also gives me a release from just primary education reading!

5. Durham offers a part-time MAed that runs for 3 years(4 weeks residential in July + assignment from September to April). Affordable if you are a British or EU citizen. Designed mostly, but not only, for teachers working in international schools. Demanding but I really enjoy it [​IMG]

http://www.dur.ac.uk/education/

6. University of Tasmania (www.utas.edu.au) has an MEd which can be done entirely online, by attendance or by a mix. I don't know what the price is for non-citizens, but you do 8 units and I'd guess they'dbe at least $1500 each.

7. Thanks for replies. Yes, I was looking into something with an international education component so couldn't really fake being at home. Since posting I've also heard that if you stress that you're on a short-term overseas contract, some Universities will accept you as a home student as well.

8. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

You pay as overseas
    student - AND if you return to UK for THREE years the same!
    There are ways
    round it...... ie been abroad teaching and < 2 years and only
    "temp" overseas. But only discretionary

9. I would look at universities that have sister campuses in Asia, such as Nottingham University in Malaysia. It might help you to keep the fees down.

Ok, I was wrong. An MA in Education from University of Nottingham in Malaysia is equiv GBP10,000 :-(

10. serverservant

serverservant New commenter

I already had a Masters in my teaching subject so I decided to sign up for an Ed.D Doctorate in Education with Glasgow University. I highly recommend it. Two weekends a year in Glasgow and the fees are about 2200 each year for the two units running and that includes the stay at the Hilton when you go over and all meals at the weekend. Very good tutors with a wealth of industry experience, high profile speakers and very well organised. The University itself is lovely and a pleasant place to spend time too.

Lasts five years. Three years (six units) taught and two years for the thesis.

11. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

v12 what a misinformed and snobbish comment! Eg Open University is one of the best universities in the world and is online. Degree Mills are obvious to spot. A campus degree + PGCE followed by an online Masters is perfectly acceptable and recognised! Walden is well known University.