1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online level 4 training

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Shalrob, May 23, 2020.

1. Shalrob

Shalrob New commenter

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has completed a level 4 TA online training course and if they are worth the money.
    I am a level 3 TA and am looking into more training.

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Are you looking to work towards HLTA status? There are lots of online courses. I have no personal experience of them, but have met several people who have had problems, sometimes with the support provided but more often with finding out that the 'qualifications' many of these courses offer are not recognised by employers.

I would always recommend anyone to enquire at a local college and try to avoid distance learning. However, this is not always possible. Definitely look for a CACHE accredited course. I have heard good reports about Stonebridge college.

If you are employed at a school, talk to your HT and see if they would support your working towards HLTA status. The HLTA national assessment partnership at hlta.org.uk has all the information you need, including registered trainers in your area.

A foundation degree is another option and can be done part time but I think it's probably only worth it if you eventually aim to go into teaching. It's an expensive business and won't really make any difference to your TA job role or prospects.

You could also give your local authority a call and ask them if they offer any suitable courses or have any training recommendations.

Best of luck!