1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online Learning

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by MilkyBar Kid, Mar 30, 2020.

1. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

This week some (perhaps most?) secondary pupils have been expected to use Glow, SMHW or equivalent, MS Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, Teams and OneNote to complete and submit work back to school. How do you you do this if the only piece of technology you have at home is a smartphone? Once again education and learning will be digitally divided into the haves and have nots, if you have a laptop or PC then great but if not then tough. We have a long way to go to make online learning accessible to all. I know there is a question of motivation but if you don't have the tools in the first place.
    On the plus side, I could get used to this remote teaching some of our more challenging pupils!

markbannan and alexmurraybrown like this.
  2. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

There will always be a divide between the haves and the have-nots: I gave up worrying about that a long time ago because it's always been with us and always will be. Also, there's nothing I can do about it. Defeatist? Sure.

Then there's pupils who will work during these times. Another poster reported only five pupils doing stuff at home, which I find pretty sad, but not exactly unexpected.

And, you're right, who does miss our fruitier pupils?!

alexmurraybrown likes this.
  3. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

I am that man....5 out of 100 of the pupils I've set up via Glow and MS Teams are clearly engaging with online material though others may well be doing stuff but just not getting involved with uploading their work.

All this IT stuff seems wonderful in theory however I get the impression that there are about four types of kids.

1. Those with sufficient hardware and motivation to participate.
    2. Those with sufficient hardware and no motivation to participate.
    3. Those who can't access online material in a user friendly way who will end up giving up trying to participate
    4. Those who don't give two flying whatsits and true to their in school behaviour will never participate.

4. inthered

inthered Occasional commenter

If nothing else, it shows that teachers in classrooms badgering kids to work has the effect of raising attainment and engagement enormously. No more talk of robot teachers, unless they’re allowed to grab the lazy by the scruff of the neck and shake them.