1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online Learning Apps

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by baxterbasics, Mar 24, 2020.

1. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

I work for an SEN school and due to the current crisis we are thinking of doing some online one to one sessions

I did suggest Skype, but thinking about this - we also need to see what answers the pupil is writing on their computer, etc - is there something that gives remote access to another computer.

What I am basically saying is that I need to see what the pupil is writing and not just their face, which is the norm of Skype.

Can anybody offer a best solution?

2. keithgully

keithgully New commenter

3. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

thanks - so skype is recommended for this?

4. Boardingmaster

Boardingmaster New commenter

You can also set up a class notebook in onenote, in which case you have realtime access to the pupils’s notebook and can see what they are writing

lynden7 likes this.
  5. lynden7

lynden7 New commenter

Does this work well with Skype, Boardingmaster?
    Can we share screens both ways? In other words, can the student share his/her screen? Because then s/he could write a document and then we could see it.

6. Boardingmaster

Boardingmaster New commenter

Its independent of skype. Personally when teaching classes for school at the moment I use zoom, which is basically the same as skype, which I have on one laptop with my ipad connected to write on and share my screen, and I access pupils’ onenotes on another laptop. It does look rather like a nuclear command and control centre in my office at the moment with all the screens I have to admit.

lynden7 likes this.
  7. lynden7

lynden7 New commenter

Thanks, Boardingmaster!

8. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

I use Zoom.us
    which is a good alternative when my tutoring company's online platform isnt working as it should
    It's free and you can share docs, whiteboard etc and pupils can type and write on it

9. SayItLikeItIs

SayItLikeItIs Occasional commenter

A document camera (at your student's end) would work for this.