1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

online KS3 unit tests

Discussion in 'Science' started by geek0808, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Hello

Quick question: would you be happy letting kids sit their end of unit tests online at home? we had someone in who was showing us this new online assessment thing where they can do their tests on-screen and they give levels etc, and it's all automatically marked so we don't have to do it. But obviously we can't get them at computers every three weeks in school, and the sales rep seemed to think we could set them as homework.

but how do you stop them cheating (using their books, asking someone the answer...). Also, at least in class I know they're all going to actually *do* it.

My HoD gave me that 'stop being unduly pessimistic' look. does anyone else have something like this? I've got a friend who uses something similar for KS4.

would be interested to know, anyway.

2. Hello

Quick question: would you be happy letting kids sit their end of unit tests online at home? we had someone in who was showing us this new online assessment thing where they can do their tests on-screen and they give levels etc, and it's all automatically marked so we don't have to do it. But obviously we can't get them at computers every three weeks in school, and the sales rep seemed to think we could set them as homework.

but how do you stop them cheating (using their books, asking someone the answer...). Also, at least in class I know they're all going to actually *do* it.

My HoD gave me that 'stop being unduly pessimistic' look. does anyone else have something like this? I've got a friend who uses something similar for KS4.

would be interested to know, anyway.

3. oh dear, and they think they have problems with 'ringers' taking driving tests

4. I could the kids have a time limit? So if they were shouting down to mum for help then they might not finish it and things would even it out?

Also, maybe you could combine written and on-line tests? Do a written test once per term, and an online test at the end of each topic?

5. As a practice test to help them (i.e. formative) - fine. As summative test to allow us to record their levels - won't work. The salesman doesn't care if it works or not!

6. yeah, this thing does have a time limit, i'd forgotten about that.

perhaps I should look at the stuff a bit more closely - maybe could be used mid-unit as a fun formative homework or something rather than as the proper test.

still, do quite fancy the idea of not having to mark all those bloody tests. we went through a stage of getting them to mark each other's in class but it swallowed too much time.

7. We have them. They are very good. Is it heinemann? They use them as practise for homework and it tells them what they need to do improve at the end. Plus you can get a nice summary for the class