1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online interview

Discussion in 'Teaching & Learning' started by maggieteacher, May 25, 2020.

1. maggieteacher

maggieteacher New commenter

I have been asked, as a task for an interview, to record myself delivering the first academic lesson to my class of year 5 or year 6 children. This is supposed to be the first lesson they have had since 20th of March, when lockdown begun. A specific subject area has not been given. I was thinking possible maybe doing times tables in maths as this is such an important part that children may have forgotten? Any ideas of content? Or ideas of how i record myself teaching with no pupil response! Thank you!

2. ChocolateChunk

ChocolateChunk New commenter

Have you consulted their website? What does it say about their approach to Teaching and Learning?
    I would advise of opting for something that is you, they will see through if it doesn't feel natural. Give a range of activities that aim for a reasonable goal, and see how the lesson would fit in the SoW.
    Ensure to include EAL, SEN support and HAS/HAP differentiation as well.

3. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

I would be inclined to do something PSHE/Literacy based. Talk about their experiences at home and do a piece of nonfiction writing (maybe a news paper article?) about something that happened to them. You could use it as an opportunity to refresh the year 5 writing skills if you need something boring.

4. handee2

handee2 New commenter

Also, make sure that you consider their well-being and you give a lesson that would invite pupil participation. There are lots of ideas generally in the news posts on this website.

5. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

Are you meant to be presenting the lesson as if you are in the room with the children, as if it is a live online lesson or as if it is being filmed for them to watch later?

6. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

On the pupil response front, personally I’d try and Zoom borrow a couple of friends/relatives children (or use my own - I know that might not be an option) and film a segment with them even if they aren’t quite the right age. I appreciate you might not be comfortable with this but it could actually be quite good fun (and you could make it v clear parents agreed to the filming etc.)