1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by bubble12, May 19, 2020.

1. bubble12

bubble12 New commenter

Hi there

Has anyone had experience of interview over zoom? What was it like? Was the questioning quite relaxed or even more difficult as its online?

Many thanks

2. steely1

steely1 Occasional commenter

I have had one recently. I found the questioning exactly as it would have been face-to-face, if I'm honest. Mine was a panel interview with three members of SLT, and each took it in turn to ask their questions.

3. neverstopdreaming

neverstopdreaming New commenter

I had an interview with the head and deputy head. It was pretty much like a normal interview with normal interview questions. I had to do a lesson plan task prior to the interview so I had some questions about that too. I did feel a bit more relaxed but I don’t know whether that was because it was a video interview or because the head and deputy put me at ease.

bubble12 and steely1 like this.
  4. steely1

Yes, I would say I was more relaxed / at ease in my online interview, too - I think a combination of the interviewees putting me at ease, and being interviewed in my own home. I've always found interviews at school intensely nerve-racking: all of the waiting around and being "on guard" during the day, and small talk with other candidates: to simply go straight into an interview via Zoom, while still nerve-racking, effectively cuts all of that out.

bubble12 likes this.
  5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

There you are, sounds as though there's nothing to worry about!

A few tips so that you present well. That alone will make you feel confident, knowing that you are looking professional and not like somebody gaming from their bedroom.

• Practice with the software beforehand, so you are comfortable with it
    • Curate the background. I've just seen a video where the presenter had a clock on the wall. As he moved around, it looked like a halo falling off. This was distracting. An unmade bed in the background wouldn't be a good look, either!
    • Put your screen up on a few dictionaries so it is higher and you're not peering down into it
    • Get the lighting right
    • Get someone on another computer to do a quick mock with you to check all OK
    • Tame the lockdown hair ;)

More tips on interviews in general with chapter on Zoom/Skype HERE. If you haven't done an E.S. already. it can be a good idea to do one now, to remind yourself what they need and what you offer. I've put a free blank template on TES Resources - just search my name - to save you the hassle of formatting,

The main thing is, as others have said, that you prepare as for an ordinary interview. Just as seriously. But, as they also have said, with the advantage of quite probably feeling less stressed because none of the extras of transport, turning up and being scrutinised by Reception, hanging around waiting, seeing the other candidates.

You're on to a winner!

Keep safe, everyone

Gsr25 and steely1 like this.
  6. bubble12

bubble12 New commenter

Unfortunately I didn't get the job but thank you! :)

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

When you think about it, most people, say 4/5, don't get the job after an interview.

So onwards and upwards, keep writing good applications and going in positively for the next interview.

Keep safe, everyone

bubble12 likes this.
  8. steely1

Try not to dwell on it. There will be a school out there for you - good luck and keep going.

bubble12 likes this.
  9. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

I had an interview via Google Meet today and it was a bit of a faff because we had to start again to include a governor in and I couldn’t see the head and DH very well as they were trying to SD on a small device.
    I felt just as nervous as I would in a regular interview and had the same post interview exhaustion as normal.
    Won’t hear the outcome until Friday as they are doing the interviews over 3 days.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Fingers crossed for you!

11. lahluwalia

lahluwalia New commenter

That’s a long wait, I felt the same when interview yesterday, I should be hearing today the outcome of my interview. I got another interview Friday but post interview anxiety making it harder to prepare for the Friday interview.

Gsr25 likes this.
  12. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

Yes, the head did say it wasn’t normal practice but the situation meant it was the only way they could do it.
    Post interview anxiety is the worst, try not to let it get you down and good luck for tomorrow.

13. sophiawilliamson8

sophiawilliamson8 New commenter

What type of questions did they ask you?

14. frijj

frijj New commenter

I was successful in an online interview recently, and I can recommend following Theo's advice from above as I do think this is important (well it worked for me).

I would also recommend dressing as you would for a regular interview. I also did the following:

• Have a glass of water nearby
    • I completed the interview in the lounge and remembered - at the last minute - to silence the landline in case of PPI calls etc!
    • If you have notes (I did, as I had to complete a task beforehand) put them behind the screen so that you don't have to keep looking down. Sellotaped to a pile of books or a candlestick seemed to do the trick! I realise though that this may be a hindrance to some people so caution is advised - as I said I had to have specific information to hand as part of the task.
    • Consider the lighting carefully. I knew the sun would be shining fully in the room by lunchtime, so closed curtains and had several lamps to light the situation.
    I hope these are not too ridiculous, but some things I considered prior to the interview. Good luck!

TheoGriff, Gsr25 and steely1 like this.