1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by samjohn007, May 13, 2020.

1. samjohn007

samjohn007 New commenter

Hello there, just wondering if anyone has had an online interview recently and what their experiences were of having to do an observed lesson in this context. Really grateful to hear from anyone who has recently gone through the process. Thanks in advance!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

An observed lesson online!

Goodness, all sorts of Safeguarding issues there!

How on EARTH are they doing that anyway? Where will they get pupils!!!!

Surely they are not expecting to be allowed to join you while you teach your class from your school? Have your governors approved that?

I am astounded

Keep safe everyone

3. install

install Star commenter

Yes it’s quite the fashion now in some schools to do observations of online teaching.

Are you used to online teaching and have they asked you to prepare the lesson in a certain format and on a particular platform?

4. steely1

steely1 Occasional commenter

I asked a similar question in another thread recently, because I assumed the school that interviewed me would ask me to teach a lesson on Zoom / Teams. They didn't in the end: they simply asked me to talk through / describe a lesson I would have taught, in usual circumstances.

But I do know of one or two schools that have invited interview candidates recently to teach lessons on Zoom.

install likes this.
  5. install

install Star commenter

Yes - they are using zoom in some schools in London too. It was the right thing to ask though..

samjohn007 likes this.
  6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

But is it just pretending that you have students, just acting out the teaching, or actually having students there?

7. BreakEven

BreakEven New commenter

I've heard online lessons being you delivering it to the ' interview panel' in the zoom call and them interacting as students. They still mention what year they want you to aim it towards though.

I suppose it'll differ but I have heard someone being asked to get a whiteboard (or paper if not possible) and write as you would normally or some being asked to share their screen with the powerpoint and online whiteboard if required.

samjohn007, steely1 and install like this.
  8. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Oh Christ, I'd never get a job that way. I'd just pretend to be Snape and take the **** out of the whole thing!

TheoGriff likes this.
  9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

So having to deliver an artificial lesson to the panel who act as students? And also possibly trying to cope with Zoom or Meet both for speaking and displaying a PowerPoint or similar? When you are only now beginning to get to grips with it?

That puts 2 more layers of stress on the applicants. At a time when they are already personally stressed, and in a stressful basic interview situation. Four stresses.

Look, 20-odd years ago, there wasn't even any observed teaching as part of selection. We relied on the referees for their view. We managed then, it could be managed now for these exceptional times.

Keep safe - and sane - everyone

samjohn007 and steely1 like this.
  10. BreakEven

BreakEven New commenter

The mind boggles as I would have presumed the fact they have managed to attain a teaching qualification would be able to vouch that they can teach, otherwise whats the point. It's like asking someone who's gained their taxi licence if they are able to drive taxis...

I agree, especially during these times where it's artificial. I don't think you can judge fairly - but then again, does it make the selection harder as they don't have as much to go on, which is why some schools are still doing it?

TheoGriff and samjohn007 like this.
  11. install

install Star commenter

There are some brilliant on line lessons out there. Some students do very well with this type of approach - but not all.

TheoGriff likes this.
  12. samjohn007

samjohn007 New commenter

Thanks for confirming this, that's really useful to know!

13. deiivid

deiivid New commenter

Well, I'm asked to prepare a 22 minute lesson for 12 students. So wish me luck

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I do indeed wish you luck. Make sure your lesson plan is spot on, and shows both differentiation ( which you may not do in the actual "class"), and shows possible follow up work.

And I also congratulate you, @deiivid , for being shortlisted for interview.

You've clearly impressed them.already, now go and wow'em with your interview!

If you have time, have a quick read of the book, to remind you of key points for any interview.

And again, congrats and best of luck!

deiivid likes this.