1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online ET cases

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by GLsghost, Jun 2, 2017.

1. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

https://www.gov.uk/employment-tribu...v-capita-customer-management-ltd-1800990-2016

Here's another newly-published case likely to be of considerable interest, though the negative impact on employers is likely to be significant, if it is not overturned on appeal - and I think this is very likely to go to appeal.

This concerns Mr Ali, who successfully complained that he was subject to less-favourable treatment because he was not able to take 12 weeks full pay, per the company policy for women and was told he could only take statutory pay. He claimed he was being victimised when his pay was reduced in the relevant weeks.

As so often, the case is fact-dependent but has the potential to open a large can of worms.

And before anyone asks: No, I am not translating the judgment. If you need it explained in words of one syllable then you will just have to accept that law, like quantum theory, is probably beyond you.

2. lyme

lyme New commenter

Morning I wondereded if you could point me in the direction of the recent sex discrimination cases that have been mentioned lately? They were said to be where women requested a reeducation in hours and wanted to keep MLT positions but were told this was not possible ?

3. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

You'll have to go onto the online database and filter a search by 'sex discrimination'.

There have been many cases now of the kind you have mentioned though.

4. Bexiloumoon

Bexiloumoon New commenter

Do you think it's very telling that very few of these cases have had any relation to schools?