1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online degree viability?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by burbs321, Jan 28, 2020.

1. burbs321

burbs321 New commenter

HI everyone!

Just hoping someone can help me gauge my prospects on becoming an International Teacher in the next year or so.

I am a 32 year old male with 2 years experience teaching highschool biology, looking to break into the international teaching community.

I currently hold a B.S.ed in secondary science education, and will start taking classes towards my masters this summer.

The catch is- my degree was earned at an online-only institution (WGU). It is regionally accredited and I do have a valid teaching license, but I've heard some countries do not accept online degrees. My hope is to work somewhere in southeast Asia.

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the viability of me becoming an IT. I've heard some countries and IS don't accept degrees earned online, furthermore, if I was accepted into an IS would I ever be able to work anywhere besides a 3rd tier IS?

Thanks!

2. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

I would be interested to read replies regarding specific countries or schools where this would be an obstacle. From my personal, limited experience, talking with other teachers and reading discussion boards, it's very much a mixed bag. In general, I believe the majority of countries and schools would not discount a candidate strictly for having an online degree.

Some ME countries want the degree to match what you are teaching (or at least what it says you are teaching on your visa application). I also think I do recall hearing of at least one country that mentioned no online degrees accepted but I don't remember which one. Many people have online degrees from universities that also have a brick and mortar campus and with those degrees, there really is no way to discern that it is an online degree without more digging than most schools and countries are likely to do. In your case, unfortunately, it would not take nearly as much looking to figure it out.

Still, while some countries and/or schools may be closed to you, I personally see no reason why you should severely limited to a small group of countries and/or the dregs of the int'l circuit (based solely on the provenance of your degree). Maybe others will have differing opinions/experience.

3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

China requires a 3 year full time degree obtained in a native English Speaking country to qualify for a teaching work visa.

4. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Online degrees BA or MA are becoming more and more useless in QA.. It's getting tighter and there are a plenty who are getting caught. Plenty meaning the English. Scotland, Ireland and the Welsh qualifications seem to go the traditional route.. But not all are immuned... Basically means their visa won't get renewed... Or if new..... No chance. If they can't prove their degrees are face to face AND is an education (B Ed or PGCE and equivalent) degree.

5. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Online is fine for masters but dodgy for some countries visa requirements regarding undergrad degrees and the best schools won't accept an online undergrad degree especially in "teaching science" that means you won't have the subject knowledge for any student over 13.

The lack of teaching certification is a major issue, it means only low end schools will take you.

You at least should get a teaching cred. and look at topping up your degree.

6. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Online degrees shouldn't really be accepted by any school. I'm doing an online MSc at the moment and there's no way on earth I'm getting the same learning experience as someone who would be doing in person

7. Madabouthistory66

Madabouthistory66 New commenter

Hi, I did my degree through the Open University and then gained QTS via the old GTP route. Even though I work for a school with a brilliant reputation and get good outcomes with my students, I cannot get a job in the MIddle East because they do not recognise my degree. I'm not sure about other countries but have been told it is becoming increasingly difficult if you don't have a degree from a 'proper' university :(

8. Chemteacher01

Chemteacher01 New commenter

I did my undergrad at the OU and then PGCE at a normal “brick” university. I’ve had no issues teaching around the world.

I also had excellent results in A-Level science so how does an online degree not give you knowledge to teach science past 13 years of age?

9. PuertaDelVino

PuertaDelVino New commenter

write your own degree then and take it to the chemists where they can print it for you lol