1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

online death threats

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Oct 29, 2018.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

What constitutes an online death threat?

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

3. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Someone been giving you a hard time? Well, tell them I said to knock it off.

lanokia likes this.
  4. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

What we do know about the threateners:

They're as thick as pig excrement.
    They're vicious.
    They have too much time on their hands.

nomad likes this.
  5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I was just wondering if my 4½ yr old grand-daughter would like The Wizard Of Oz.
    No. She'd be s...-scared of The Wicked Witch Of The West, just like I was!

nomad, InkyP and needabreak like this.
  6. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Nizeman was taken out of the Wizard of Oz as a little child because he was so scared of the ww of the w!

nomad likes this.
  7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It was the flying monkeys that did for me at that age. My big sister was always encouraging me to watch things that scared me for months afterwards. Kat and Kanary was particularly bad.

artboyusa likes this.
  8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

My daughter cried and wanted to go home when I took her to Jack and the Beanstalk when she was about 3 but I made her stick it out to see the happy ending. Tough love.

nomad likes this.
  9. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

That's nothing. What about the Child Catcher in Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang?

I was petrified aged 6!

needabreak, chelsea2 and nomad like this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Obviously giving my age away...

My dad and I used to sing it as a duet (after my mother had gone to bed!)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    magic surf bus and frangipani123 like this.
  11. vannie

vannie Star commenter

My little brother hid under his seat when we went to see 101 Dalmatians. Cruella De Vil

12. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

The film of Jane Eyre scared me to death when I was ten. Luckily, when I read it as a teenager I realised it was just a colossally dull book with a serious of ridiculous coincidences.

And talking of coincidences, a lady called Jane Eyre enquired about joining our choir and I was so convinced that it was a wind up that I googled her and found out that it was her real name.

13. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

My sister had nightmares for weeks when we went to see a film and there was a trailer for The Man in the Iron Mask.

14. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

We seem to have gone off piste.

15. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

have you been threatened @nizebaby ? Its something you should report to the police, not because its likely to be dangerous, but because no one should treat you like that and they shouldn't get away with it.

16. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

17. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

No, honestly, it was really just a simple question about what online death threats actually are. Do death wishes count?

If some sad loser did it to me, I'd shame, even if I couldn't name.

You're very kind, dunnocks.

needabreak likes this.
  18. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Some years back I received threats from a poster on the Teaching Overseas forum to the effect that he was an ex soldier, still had a gun, and had cleverly deduced exactly where I lived. When asked to prove the latter claim he replied 'Spain'. This reminded me of a Goon Show conversation:

We've tracked him down?
    Where is he?
    Africa.
    Ah! So we've got him cornered!

I have the sheet music to 'The Spaniard that blighted my life' but have never quite dared to sing it in public.

19. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

How many times have I said "I could kill him for doing that" or "Got a death wish?" or "With any luck, karma is real and she'll drop dead? or "Hope he falls under a bus"?

Apart from the bus, these things never happened because saying it's one easy thing, but making it happen is another altogether. Online death threats are 99.9% bluster under cover of anonymity.

lanokia and nizebaby like this.
  20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I get online death threats from the NHS all the time.

Eat less cholesterol OR YOU WILL DIE!
    Get more exercise OR YOU WILL DIE!
    You are nearly 60 SO YOU WILL DIE OF HORIBLE ILLNESSES!

Not to mention estate agents:

WE KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE and it's worth £X so how about you sell it?

Then there's bloody Michael Parkinson demanding money from me every week until I DIE, because somehow he knows I'm going to DIE. Since when did he join the Mafia? "Nice 'ouse thee's got there 'appen. Shame if someone took it t'pay for t'funeral. For £22 a week t'AXA family'll sithee right".

We're surrounded by psycopathic nutters, and I'm running out of tinfoil for my helmets.