1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online courses

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Mar 27, 2020.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

My son has been suggesting to keep my mind alive I do online courses.
    It is hard because I would want to do something new or useful. I also have little or no cash.
    Ideas, as at my age I do not think I am unlikely to be employed to use workplace studies, but prepared to have suggestions.
    I might point out...I do not really need them in horticulture as I have qualifications plus experience. IT management I have a Degree in systems management (although never used) Not sure I need building construction, event or helpdesk qualifications, etc. I would love to do practical courses but my arthritis seems to preclude some sorts of work.
    I could do languages but harder to learn as older, but at present unlikely to get practice due to the virus and although I prefer German I also have odd smatterings of French and Spanish but not fluid.
    Could folks kindly tell me of a course they have found benefit in undertaking? Not to be nosey, but as I am willing to take up a challenge once I understand what's involved.
    Also which online provider organiser you have found useful
    Thanking you in advance xx

Jamvic likes this.
  2. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

I've done a few on FutureLearn. They have a huge range of courses from universities around the world. Most are free.
    I enjoyed the introduction to archaeology one most. They do a few language courses too: French, Dutch, German and Italian.

3. oldsomeman

I have just looked on there and some might be very interesting if only to stimulate my sagging mind. Thank you I will explore more!

Jamvic and agathamorse like this.
  4. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Are you interested in family history? Future learn did a very interesting free geanology course a while back. It might still be accessible.

Jamvic, agathamorse and dumpty like this.
  5. oldsomeman

Just thought, does anyone know of a basic course in website development or in understanding data analysis/analytics and applying it to a web site>
    I have recently started to learn about keywords and their use, also SEO but some of it leaves me stumped, although im sure it might be my understanding. Life was so much easier when we used Frontpage in Microsoft lol

agathamorse likes this.
  6. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I never found any that are good with regards to teaching. They all are run as an English school comprehension test. You read or listen, then take a test.

And anyone who has been teaching over 5 years will see how they just re-hash theories and ideas from decades ago - essentially having you re-take the tests you have passed yonks ago.

But then giving you a shiny new certificate to make you feel special.

I'd say language learning could be fun - much more useful. Or something way out there - how to be a midwife for example.

ajrowing and agathamorse like this.
  7. oldsomeman

Cheers, I have been looking at my family history for a number of years and go back in some branches to Norman knights...also Ancestory have several Youtube sites with folks explaining, but I am always willing to learn in that field. So I will look. Thank you very much,

8. oldsomeman

Erm...I don't know if they have too many 74-year-old men midwives lol. It wouldn't worry me to be one, but it might worry them lol
    My experience is limited to procreation and watching the births of my children...:D

agathamorse and dumpty like this.
  9. agathamorse

FutureLearn has a huge range of IT courses. I did two on online security but there are others on Big Data. For SEO you might be better off looking at the business and marketing courses.

Jamvic likes this.
  10. oldsomeman

I did but the cost drove me away. I have tried to watch Videos but they move so fast they have finished their videos before you have fully understood other concepts lol, It seems online presenters forget that information doesn't have to be delivered at breakneck speed.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. agathamorse

The courses by Newcastle and Reading universities were good and were free. Most courses are free unless you want a certificate or want to study it after it has finished it's run.

oldsomeman likes this.
  12. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

I’ve signed up for Irish on FutureLearn.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Learn languages using your phone. You can start with the free version of Duolingo. I worked in the Netherlands and found I never managed more than few words because everyone spoke English so well. So Ive been learning Dutch. 20 mins a day. Great. I'm learning Turkish too, as many of our students are Turks, Kurds and Cypriots.

oldsomeman and agathamorse like this.