1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online classroom environments

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by streetno9, Mar 15, 2020.

1. streetno9

streetno9 New commenter

Hello all. Does anyone have any suggestions for secure online classroom environments? Just trying to get out ahead of this for when schools close. I figure something like a secure chatroom where the students all sign in might work. Honestly this isn't something I've thought too seriously about until recently, so if there are any horror stories out there whereby we can all learn, please feel free to share.

Yes, I don't expect my students to be too chuffed about the idea, but this close to the exams I'm prepared to at least look at the possibility. Any ideas?

2. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Does your school use google drive? If so, then google classrooms and google hang outs are probably the way to go.

If not, does the school have its own VLE?

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Ask your school what you should be doing. They should be getting their Disaster Recovery Plan out of the cupboard and briefing staff. It won't help their planning and organising if everyone sets off doing their own thing.

4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Teams on Microsoft 365 is what my school wants to do....

streetno9 likes this.
  5. JJ83

JJ83 New commenter

Google Classroom is fab!!

6. Smithsboy

Smithsboy New commenter

It seems we are expected to login in the morning, register form class, fill in online register, send to line managers, then be available to teach each timetabled lesson as it would run in a normal day, again taking registers. Video teaching to be included if possible. This is from KS2 to sixth form.

Sounds ludicrous to me, for many reasons, and will probably fall down on the first morning, when zero kids have rolled out of bed by 8.45. What do others think?

7. jogreen74

jogreen74 New commenter

Core Sciences is a great online virtual science lab, I use it with my GCSE students ad they really like it. You can set them required practicals to work through as well as revision with multiple choice questions. Due to what we are all facing at the moment they are giving free subscriptions to teachers to help students learn at home - might be worth a look?