1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online based PGCE content

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by scoobs00, May 7, 2020.

1. scoobs00

scoobs00 New commenter

Hey all,

I have an interview next week for PGCE/QTS at an academy trust for chemistry or biology, so a mix of classroom learning at a training centre and school time.

I've found another provider doing part time courses, which would be better for me as I have a child starting school in September. This course can run over two years, and has start dates of September, January or April, which would allow me to settle my child into school, and then train on average 3 days per week.

The other benefit of a January start would be a longer SKE course, as I have been in industry for ten years, after a PhD of 4 years so I'd definitely need some curriculum refreshers.

This particular course though (through Coventry Uni) seem to have the 'classroom' element as online learning, bar 3 X 2 days at a residential.

Has anyone else completed their training via a similar route, with online learning rather than classroom taught lessons? If so what did you think? You're still assigned tutors and so on but I'm not sure if there would be a significant disadvantage of missing out on face to face learning.

Thanks for your opinions!

2. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

Find out about how you will get to link up with other students on the course. In my experience trainees get as much support from each other as from tutors. You will also need to make sure that the school based mentoring is very good as it will be harder to draw upon support from the university.