1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Online backup" - definition needed.

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by BrianUK, Mar 11, 2012.

1. BrianUK

BrianUK New commenter

I always find this topic confusing in terms of what to actually teach the kids at AS Level. We use AQA and I am interested to know what you teach.
    Question: Describe Online Backup
    Depending on where you are in the spec " online" apparently means different things.
    In one section it is referred to as meaning "real time". In other words the output is fast enough to directly affect the next input such as playing a computer game.
    For a database, it is considered to be "online" if users are able to perform transactions (I assume that this means 2 phase commit etc is in operation)
    For a network "online" can mean simply connected to a LAN network - or a WAN (e.g. t'Internet).
    There are probably others but on we go to the topic in question. Online backup. AQA seem to regard this as either:
    a) RAID (I assume just level 0?)
    or
    b) Remote backup using online services such as cloud or a vendor usually over the internet (but it could be any WAN I suppose.
    Which one do you teach/advise? What do other exam boards say? Which one gets the marks?

2. BrianUK

BrianUK New commenter

I always find this topic confusing in terms of what to actually teach the kids at AS Level. We use AQA and I am interested to know what you teach.
    Question: Describe Online Backup
    Depending on where you are in the spec " online" apparently means different things.
    In one section it is referred to as meaning "real time". In other words the output is fast enough to directly affect the next input such as playing a computer game.
    For a database, it is considered to be "online" if users are able to perform transactions (I assume that this means 2 phase commit etc is in operation)
    For a network "online" can mean simply connected to a LAN network - or a WAN (e.g. t'Internet).
    There are probably others but on we go to the topic in question. Online backup. AQA seem to regard this as either:
    a) RAID (I assume just level 0?)
    or
    b) Remote backup using online services such as cloud or a vendor usually over the internet (but it could be any WAN I suppose.
    Which one do you teach/advise? What do other exam boards say? Which one gets the marks?

3. Online - physically connected to a network and logged in so that you can use the services of the network (as opposed to offline, where you are physically connected but not logged in). Online backup refers usually to cloud storage i.e. backing up files across the Internet to a third party company. The database example you gave follows the above so shouldn't be confusing - the database is distributed / remote and to use it you have to be physically connected to a network and logged into it + the database. I disagree that online has anything to do with real time, though. Perhaps others have a different opinion?

4. Totally80s

Totally80s New commenter

Answer is b) as it is the only possible answer from the two that you give, RAID never has been a form of backup meerly a form of fault tolerance.
    For example if I took a chainsaw to your lovely RAID array and sliced open each and every of your HD's what are you going to do? Where is your data? What is your line manager going to say? Will you have a job the next day? Will the business still be trading in the future? Bit of a long answer but it develops the answer a bit more.