1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online Bachelor's or Master's in Teaching

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by MSTJ, Jan 27, 2019.

1. MSTJ

MSTJ New commenter

Hi all,

I've been doing some research and would be grateful for some feedback/recommendations.

My Bachelor's degree is not in Education or Teaching. I do not currently teach. I would like to teach at some point later on.

I want to pursue an online degree in teaching (not in Education; most of the Education programmes I've come across, ie. 'Master of Education, Master of Arts in Education etc." are more research and professional development-based.).

I'm looking for a programme that is practical/applied/classroom teaching-oriented. Any suggestions? Thank you.

2. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

If you want to teach do a PGCE. There are limits to what any online course can teach in terms of "practical/applied/classroom teaching-oriented" as you tend to need some students and a classroom to apply the theory.

There are some distance PGCE courses which are a mix of online work and school placements. If you want to teach in UK schools this would be your best option.

3. MSTJ

MSTJ New commenter

Thanks. I've looked these up and would prefer to do a Bachelor's or Master's.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I sincerely hope that no such fully online course exists. You cannot learn to teach by studying on the internet.
    You need to be in a school, with real people, real time pressures and your own real emotions and reactions.
    Otherwise, it would be like being able to drive a car after passing a theory test, but never having been in a car.

If you really want a degree type course then a BEd is your best option. Yes you learn theories of education, but this knowledge is invaluable when teaching. You will also have teaching placements in schools, where you will be supported by a qualified teacher who will help you learn how to teach.

However, a PGCE is by far the best option if you already have a degree.

steely1, koopatroopa and agathamorse like this.
  5. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

Then by all means do so, but these will not be practical courses and they will not qualify you to teach.

6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I agree, no online bachelors or masters would qualify you to teach. Do a PGCE

steely1 and agathamorse like this.
  7. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

You can only teach as a qualified teacher with a PGCE. You could work as an unqualified teacher in a MAT, but the pay is rubbish. Some independent schools don’t require PGCE but that’s usually only for exceptional graduates with relevant industry or university experience who can offer something that the school wants. Generally if you want to teach here or abroad then you need the PGCE.

steely1 and install like this.
  8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

That's not quite true, there are other routes in to teaching, but not what the OP is looking for.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

True you can do a course to get QTS but this isn’t accepted for many jobs abroad. Or you could do SCITT but I thought that led to PGCE.