1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Onerous job interview?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by akay19, Feb 12, 2018.

1. willow78

willow78 Occasional commenter

Opening poster didn't give the full details it was YouTube or google drive

2. rouxx

rouxx Senior commenter

Well I guess that rules out anyone applying from China, with no access to Youtube or Google (yes I do know about VPNs but uploading a video would probably be rather like wading through treacle) - come to think of it there must be a fair number of locations around the world where uploading a video would be problematic - restrictions on websites, data limits or simply just remote locations with appalling connections.

3. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

Oh I know that Dumbells - that's the not the point. The point is, would you want to work for a school who didn't think about these things? Western schools and societies have put safeguarding procedures in place for very good reasons (Holly and Jessica, Victoria Climbie, Baby P, etc) and, speaking personally, I wouldn't want to go to a school that didn't think about these things and put policies in place, regardless of what is (or is not) required under local law.

Besides, if the OP is in a country now where uploading a video with parental consent (even to a private channel - because who knows what may happen to you tube in the future) is against the law/current employers policy, would you encourage them to break the law/risk displianry action?

But mountains and molehills etc - if had been me I would have asked to use a different medium to share the film.

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

Im seriously struggling to think of one international school that doesnt have a slick website full of images of their students....even the "top tier" ones. Many of them have videos of performances/ competitions / sports events of their kids on them. They will have child protection policies at these schools. All of mine have, but the all actively encouraged us to take photos and / or video the students.
    Its a different world to state schools. International schools are businesses and they need to promote their "business".

5. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Established commenter

It's pretty easy to rip videos from youtube, private or not, in fact there are plenty of browser plugins that will allow you to do it. If something isn't visible on your screen it's copyable, as many people have found thinking Snapchat was secure to send risqué photos.

6. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

My school has very strict policies on not posting student images. Only our marketing team is allowed to use images of students. Everything is locked down tight. We have a lot of parents who refuse consent for their child's image to be used or taken at all.

If I had been in that situation it would have been a definite no from my school on allowing video to be taken in the first place, let alone uploaded for someone not at my school to see. Visitors coming to see me teach I could probably wangle but no to videos.

7. dumbbells66

But they still use images of your students on the wesite....can you imagine a state school doing that?
    Our marketing department run our website, but they are always asking for photos

8. Stiltskin

There isn't anything wrong of using images or videos of children and sharing them as long as you've obtained permission. Relating to the OP message, videoing a lesson and sharing it would be breaking the UK law unless they obtained permission from the parents first.

Businesses (I'm thinking any big one)are very careful about the images they use on their website, and are careful to ensure they have permission to use them. Things on the internet don't just disappear, copies exist in numerous places and could pop up in the future. (And it seems parents should be wary too, especially those in France)

9. Stiltskin

Plenty of state schools do, they are just very careful about obtaining the correct permissions.

10. dumbbells66

All my international schools have had a blanket permission to use images videos of the kids as part of their acceptence to the school. As far as im aware this is very commonplace.

11. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Not at my school. We have a large number of parents who refuse permission for their child's photo to be taken or used. It causes a lot of issues for the school as they have to be VERY careful about checking every photo in case someone has been accidentally snapped.