1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One years continuous service for full maternity leave benefits

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Em4owen, Mar 19, 2011.

1. I can't seem to find the info anywhere and wondered in anyone knew, to get the maternity pay whereby you get 4 weeks full pay, 2 weeks 90% pay and then 12 weeks half pay, after 1 years continuous service, what does it mean by 1 years continuous service?

Do you have to have been working for 1 year at a school/LA before conceiving or one year at a school/LA before you go on maternity leave?

I'm just deciding when it would be more economically viable for TTC.

I'm an NQT at the mo, but wondering whether we chould start trying next month or wait until I've worked for a year (which will be in July).

2. Hi Em,
    You seem to be exactly where I was about 3 months ago. Really unsure about leave, pay (and for me, temp contracts). Caution is well and truly thrown to the wind now. Going to start TTC this month, am so fed up of worrying.
    I managed to get hold of a PDF of the burgundy book but can't remember where from. If you PM me with email address, I can send it to you if you want.

3. Sorry about lack of paragraphs, my phone ate them. X

4. Thanks for your help. I have checked the NUT's booklet but couldn't find any info on what one years continuous service actually meant.

5. As far as I know...

Continuous service is counted as time spent in the same LEA. For the purposes of mat leave it is calculated from when you are about 26 weeks pregnant so you should be well inside the limits even if you start trying now...

For further clarification, ask the same question over on the pay and conditions forum on the TES as people on there deffo know what they are talking about!

6. I found this - really useful! http://www.teachers.org.uk/taxonomy/term/350
    In it, it says that continuous service does NOT have to be in the same LEA just as long as you have service in a state maintained school for a whole year then you are entitled.

7. Thanks for all the help/advice. I remember looking at that site a while ago but couldn't find it again so the link is really useful :)

We've decided to start ttc once this cycle is over as it's clear I will get full entitlements. I'm feeling like life is too short and I should quit worrying and get on with it. It could take us ages to concieve anyways.