1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One year out of teaching and still no job

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by cactusstorm, Jan 29, 2018.

1. cactusstorm

cactusstorm New commenter

I left primary teaching a year ago, after only a term on the job, due to depression and anxiety caused by a bullying deputy head (I'm the tenth member of staff to leave directly because of him). I've been looking for work for a year since and had no luck. I know all about transferable skills, how to apply for a job and interview techniques and nothing seems to help. I get told I give good answers and that I am personable but that I lack experience. I have tried to get temp jobs but the agencies seem to never offer me positions.

I'd still like to work in education, so museum education or training adults. I've also applied to a part time primary role that would suit me better, due to having two days to get a load of admin and CPD done. I'm also happy to default back into my old degree in biomedical sciences. I'd be OK with retraining but I am concerned about the sunk cost of a third qualification and the time it would take to get into work. I'm close to 26 and have ~5 months of work experience to my name; this has to be seen as a liability to employers. I could retrain for IT and do some work on the side.for some extra money but that would be my only option.

Any thoughts or similar stories that would be helpful?

2. BYusuf

BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

Hi cactusstorm,

Would you consider private tuition as an interim option to provide you with an income?

The successes you facilitate that way could be added to your teaching experience.

Regards,
    Bukky

3. cactusstorm

How would I go about setting that up? I also cannot afford to run a car right now (I'm not claiming benefits or anything like that), so I'm limited to my local area at the moment.

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

You say you have tried temp jobs. Do you mean working as a supply teacher or do you mean working in an office?

If you live in an area with a lot of schools opposed to living in a rural area, you could do supply teaching even if you don't have a car as you could get to the schools closest to you by either bus or taxi. Supply work would be a way of having money coming in while you retrain or continue to look for something else. It isn't easy work, but it can be o.k. if you avoid the worst schools - the ones with the appalling student behaviour.

Your idea of training in IT is a sound one if you think that would suit you.

You are only 26. Don't be so hard on yourself .

Have you tried getting work in a hospital in their labs?

agathamorse likes this.
  5. cactusstorm

I've tried office jobs, not school ones. I have no real confidence left in the classroom and want to avoid it; I know I'm a decent teacher and the kids like me but the adults seem to not. I'm having an interview for a lab job today actually. It seems that it might be a better fit because it seems people are put off by my more quiet and reserved nature.

6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

All the best for the lab job. Supply teaching is always an option to tide you over until you find something more suited to you.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

I think you can do a postgrad in museum education

8. kstickley77

kstickley77 New commenter

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

9. AmieLN

AmieLN New commenter

Hi there.

I can relate to your situation a lot.
    I have been teaching for three years- love the teaching and working with the children. FInd all the rest of it difficult to manage all the workload and felt very drained.
    I left my previous job in November last year and since then I have found it difficult to get work.

I am currently working one afternoon a week teaching French for a ppa cover company (https://www.schoolppacover.co.uk/)- ppa cover could be something you also look into.

Tutoring is something I am also looking into (either through a tuition centre or as a self employed tutor), maybe something to help you too.

Whatever you do chose to do, don't give up. It will work out in the end.
    xxx

10. k1tsun3

k1tsun3 New commenter

If you're interested in training adults, then Learning & Development might be a good fit. CIPD offer courses. You may find work without it too, but they offer various levels of qualifications to become a trainer.