1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One year on.

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by curlyk, Jul 11, 2015.

1. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

First anniversary of my retirement from teaching this week.Feel so much more relaxed and energised nowadays .

Wishing a happy retirement to all those retiring this year.It takes a while to adjust ,but it is so worth it.

2. carioco

carioco New commenter

Thanks curlyk. Enjoy!

3. gymjack

gymjack New commenter

Me too.

I overheard two guys chatting yesterday about how it was best to carry on working as long as possible .....nothing to do at home........daytime TV.........only lasted a month before one of them wanted to go back to work, etc ....

I just chuckled to myself and thought we must be entirely different species. I love being retired and haven't been bored for a minute. Someone at school asked me what it was like and I said it was like waking up after a bad dream.

I'm going into school tomorrow. My old Y5 class are taking part in the Leavers' Show. It will be nice to see them again and their KS2 SAT results have been amazing but I know at what cost to their current teacher. No thanks. A moment of glory doesn't compensate for all the hours of work at home, stress and troubled sleep. Retirement was the best thing I ever did.

4. gymjack

gymjack New commenter

I'm actually counting my retirement starting on 1st September. I count the school holidays as belonging to the last school year.

5. chrisonabike

chrisonabike New commenter

I agree! Actually loved my old school but love retirement even more. I wonder if it's because we are all into "continuing education" and there's just so much to learn and enjoy about the world that we didn't have time to do when ticking boxes. Best of wishes for good health to new retirees - long may you draw that pension!

6. chuk

chuk New commenter

I have just handed my pension application form into my ex-employer in order to take early retirement in October at 55. Having served 16 years in 4 different schools (I joined in later years), my best years were on a very good salary and I worked bloody hard! Therefore even though my pension has been reduced, it is reasonable, and a useful supplement to the salary I will draw as a private tutor, when I start trading in September.

I have started to feel more liberated already and in control of my own destiny!

I intend to live for at least another 30 years plus so I will have been re-paid the blood, sweat and tears many times over by the time I reach 85 hopefully!

Enjoy the fruits of your labour while you can. You never know what lies around the next corner!