1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One year on M6 before UPS?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Bobble90, Jul 8, 2015.

1. I would like to apply for a UPS-based salary at the next relevant time point (this October).

My school's pay policy document says only qualified teachers on M6 for a minimum of a year can apply.

I have QTS. I will not have been on M6 for one year at the next time point for application.

The STPCD 2014 doesn't seem to make reference to the M6 for a year element.

15.1 of STPCD says "Qualified teachers may apply to be paid on the upper pay range..."

It doesn't say all qualified teachers.

The advice on an ATL document dated July 2014 says any teacher can apply. My school (academy) says otherwise.

The headteacher also requires a portfolio of evidence.

Is this a case of in/out of the STPCD?

Is it possible for an academy to stipulate a sub-set of teachers?

Does anyone have a definitive answer, as the outcome will determine whether I go elsewhere at Christmas?

Thanks.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Schools are now able to write their own pay policies, including stipulations about who can apply for UPS and when. Your school appears to have written its own pay policy and, therefore, the ATL advice is neither here nor there. Yes, the academy can stipulate any conditions it likes.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

That's a slightly selective quotation Bobble! The full quote is:

15.1 Qualified teachers may apply to be paid on the upper pay range at least once a year in line with their school’s pay policy.

It goes on to say

15.3 The pay policy shall set out the process for assessing applications and make clear how the relevant body will interpret the criteria in paragraph 15.2.

So it's as Middlemarch says, it all depends what the the school pay policy says

BTW you're quoting STPCD, but does your academy use STPCD terms of employment? STPCD doesn't apply to academies, unless they've voluntarily decided to use them (or you have them via TUPE).

4. Many thanks, Middlemarch.

HR says STPCD is in use, though there are elements of the pay policy which do not appear to marry up on the face of it.

No matter, I am out to industry interview the day we break up for the summer.

The next hurdle is trying to bring a leaving date forward.

5. Ah, Rott Weiler, I do agree.

I eventually convinced myself that the line you bolded was in reference to the once a year element.

As already said, however, I have been told, by HR, that we follow STPCD, but it seems not.

Thanks for your help.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

7. Thank you, TheoGriff.

Staying until Christmas will be no issue, if needs be.

I would expect the headteacher to insist I remain as I'm not the only one abandoning the department.

8. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

The STPCD is less prescriptive than it has ever been, as you are finding ouit.

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I can't see how they are not following STPCD, which simply says that the school must have a policy, which your school clearly does. Some schools have produced something along the lines of the old rules, which seems reasonable to me.