1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One year in.....

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by karlo1981, Feb 21, 2016.

1. karlo1981

karlo1981 New commenter

Hi all.

Just before we go back from half term, I thought I'd share a few musings....

I'm one year into my first headship. It's hard. Very hard. How much of the following can y'all relate to.

1. Everyone wants a piece of you.
    2. Figuring out what to ignore and what to listen to (from externals)
    3. Trying to remain kind to everyone when you're feeling homicidal.
    4. Maintaining high standards without being an ********.
    5. Being kind and flexible, without appearing weak.
    6. Dealing with overbearing governors (the vast majority who are also parents)
    7. Balancing a budget with rising costs and flat income - without making people redundant.
    8. Trying to maintain a smile when I feel like crying.
    9. Feeling alone and isolated - despite endless offers of support from colleague heads.

In spite of the above, I'd like to think I'm doing a reasonable job, given my lack of experience, but have seriously thought whether this is really for me. Some days I feel on top of the world, and others I feel like chucking it all in.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Keighleigh, install and Ladykaza like this.
  2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done!

Reckon that having got through that much and still having enough unscrambled brain to do an analysis like that, you are winning.

congratulations-typography-lettering-decorative-text-card-design-celebratory-44447356.jpg

Best wishes

3. lordofthelost

lordofthelost New commenter

Nearly coming up to my first year and was thrown in the deep end - only spent 4 months as new Deputy new school and then became the Head!

I read your post and can relate to every single point - glad it isn't just me. Keep smiling and if you fancy chatting further send me a message.

install likes this.
  4. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Re your point 2, I ignore most requests for data etc figuring that if they really need it then they will get back to me.

I also ignore questionnaires etc.

Middlemarch likes this.
  5. karlo1981

karlo1981 New commenter

Thank you so much! I just feel I'm so **** at what I do sometimes.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

All heads do (except the ones who are too far up their own backsides and believe their own publicity), trust me.

I spent most of both my headships feeling I was going to be found out at any moment and it was a great comfort to me when a (male) headteacher colleague, who head been very successful in headship for much longer than I'd been in the job, told me (unprompted by me) that this was how he felt.

7. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

We all feel that way from time to time. It is a lonely job at times. Make sure that you have someone, ie another HT to talk to, even if it is the other end of the phone.

With me it seems that just as things seem to be going well along comes something to make me feel like carp!

8. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

I am just starting my second year as a head and I echo all of your points Karlo. It is tough, very tough. I have lots of support but I still feel completely on my own. So many issues. Your 6th point has been the hardest challenge for me.
    Good luck to everyone.

9. karlo1981

karlo1981 New commenter

Just wanted to say thank you so much for all your kind comments. I'll go to bed tonight feeling much more positive about tomorrow morning. (Although I may be posting here again tomorrow night!!)

G'night comrades. x

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Keep strong!

11. yipeeee4

yipeeee4 New commenter

Your list sums up exactly what is required of headship. I still felt like that after 5 years. Speaking to honest colleagues who have been in the job forever....they still feel like that too! Your points are a sad but accurate description of the job at the moment. Let's just cling on to the many good bits too. When I started, a very experienced primary colleague told me that whenever it all just got too much, he'd walk away from the endless paperwork and just go and sit on the floor with the Reception class. Best advice I ever had!!