1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

one year contracts

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by gingerwine, Mar 20, 2012.

1. I am currently on a one year contract in an FE college (the letter appointing me states that the job will be for one year initially). Are there any rules about when the college should tell me whether the contract will be renewed or not? Conversely if the contract ends at the end of August do I have to give notice if I don't want the contract renewed? Have searched the union website (UCU) for this but can't find the answer. Thanks for reading!

2. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Let them know that you are doing so - if they want to keep you, they might hurry to offer you a contract before it's too late.

3. I've got an appraisal coming up so I will tell them then. Thanks for replying.

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

This is an issue in FE as generally colleges can't determine staffing until student enrolling has given an indication of numbers. You should have a fair idea from the interest shown in your subject before the summer....