1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One year contract resignation dates

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by muso2, Apr 4, 2019.

1. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

Can anyone tell me if the normal resignation dates apply for a one year contract post? I don't know if they're planning to extend the contract, but if I haven't heard, can I assume I can look for jobs at any point? (obviously not leaving until the end of the contract)
    Thank you

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Depends on what type of school. So please tell us that. You can also check the contract.......

3. muso2

Thank you. It's an academy.
    I guess it's only an issue if they want to extend the contract and haven't told me, which I could only find out by asking. If I was offered a different job after 31st May and hadn't agreed to extend where I am, then I think I'd be in the clear officially, but it doesn't feel very professional.

4. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

If they are folllowing normal rules you are nw past your resignation date as you cannot design by may 31st from a one year cont4axt

Assuming it is a one year contract from September to August neither side has to give notice once spring haLf term has past as you cannot give notice after that date to leave at then end of the year as you are leaving anyway.

I too am on a one year contract. The school has not said they are going to renew it so I am assuming they are not and h e informed my agencies I will be available for work in September.

If you want to see how the land lies then simply inform your line manager that you will in the process of your applying for jobs for September be using the academy as a reference.

This may force someone to look at a spreadsheet to see if they can afford you or. Of.
    Remember however once you have been doing the job for two years if they want you for a third yrear they have to make you permanent and redundancy pay kicks in.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. muso2

Thank you, this all makes sense! It feels weird not having had a conversation about it as others are assuming it will be renewed but I haven't heard anything. Yes, I'll just tell them I'm applying for things (not that anything much has come up) and see where that leads. Glad I'm not accidentally doing it all wrong!

agathamorse likes this.