1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

One Year contract (Jan start) but know I move abroad in September 2012

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jimmygrimble, Nov 21, 2011.

  1. Right, so I have a dilemma ahead of me. In short, I plan to emigrate in September 2012. At present I am working as a supply teacher but I'm actively searching for a permanent role. With this in mind, if I was to sign a year long contract etc what sort of position does this put me in knowing I will only be working 'til the end of this school year? Hopefully this is in the right forum section and someone can offer some advice. I really need the security of a perm role but can't be flexible on my emigration date! All help is gratefully received. Thanks!
  2. Karvol

    Karvol Occasional commenter

    Essentially what you are saying is that you wished to paid over the summer, knowing full well that you will not return?
  3. strawbs

    strawbs Established commenter

    permament means just that; not for 2 terms!!
  4. To be honest I hadn't even given that a though t- genuinely just want my own class and a guaranteed income so I know I have the emigration cost covered. Obviously it'd be a bonus to be paid over the summer now you've mentioned it but I'd happily forego any right to receive any kind of salary for the summer holidays. I really would like my own class, that's the main reason. It's just that I will be moving overseas next year, regardless.
  5. So ever since your first permanent job you haven't changed?
  6. strawbs

    strawbs Established commenter

    certainly not after 2 terms, knowing I wanted to leave after 2 terms. I would find this dishonest.
    (and actually, no I haven't!)
  7. Ha, fair enough! And yes, I too feel it is dishonest which is why I'm asking on here. I genuinely have no idea what the protocol is on something like this and I want to make sure I'm doing the right(ish) thing. Should I simply just stick to supply then? Again, I reiterate, I'd happily say to them upon handing in my notice that I don't expect any form of pay for the summer holidays.
  8. Cervinia

    Cervinia Occasional commenter

    Well that's really good of you. Any thought of the inconvenience your dishonesty would cause?
    It's a fixed term post. If you have no intention of staying for the duration of the fixed term, why are you even thinking about applying?
  9. Surely the very fact I'm asking on a forum suggests that I am specifically thinking of the inconvenience it would cause. The reason is simple because the opportunity is perfect, at a wonderful school and ticks all the boxes. I guess I have my answer in a roundabout way but there was really no need for anybody to jump down my throat about it. I'm trying to do the right thing by checking if there was a particular way of going about this in a manner that wasn't completely dishonest etc. Much the same had I taken a 'perm' vacancy in September knowing I was off anyway.

    If anybody has genuine advice I would stil appreciate the help of course. Thank you.
  10. Be upfront and honest, I'd be quite happy to offer a contract until the end of the summer if you were right for the job. Changing teachers in September is easy to deal with but I would need to know so that I could recruit in plenty of time. If you signed a year long contract and the employer decided to end it after two terms you'd have every right to feel p'd off. Good luck.
  11. Thanks for your input, Ann. I'm certainly swaying towards this - providing I get to interview stage of course! I'll almost certainly go down this route. Thanks once again, much appreciated.
  12. Cervinia

    Cervinia Occasional commenter

    So it's fine to mislead people and act morally wrongly because the school is otherwise convenient?
    My post was entirely genuine.
  13. Dear Jimmy, by posting here you have shown your integrity and therefore your desire to be in the classroom for the right reasons ... This, I am sure will get you a 2 term contract in a good school. From this show of integrity , I believe that you will struggle to work in an environment of deceipt if you accept the job then resign after a term, that term would be hell. Be honest at interview- circumstances have changed and you are now only looking for 2 terms. ( you would still get
    Paid to 30th of August) hope this helps
  14. langteacher

    langteacher Occasional commenter

    Having been through 3 restructures in less that 5 years, I have seen many friends and colleagues lose their jobs that they had previously thought were safe. It would be lovely to see an employer with a conscience like the OP. I say go for it and if it makes you feel better, be up front at interview.
  15. frustum

    frustum Star commenter

    When OH applied for a one year post elsewhere in the country, I applied for a one-year-in-the-first-instance post I saw advertised nearby. The first paragraph of my application letter gave the reasons why they might not want to appoint me - I wouldn't know if I was moving there until after the interviews, and I was highly unlikely to be there more than a year.
    They took up my references! They didn't interview me - I guess they were thinking that they'd look at me if they didn't like the field they got at interview. But it shows that schools don't reject applications out of hand, even after being upfront in the application.
    You might well get a maternity cover. Even if it's a year-long vacancy, there will probably be two classes affected anyway, one this year and one next,and so it makes little difference if the teacher covering changes in September. And even if they appoint someone who's not planning other things for September, that person would probably prefer a permanent post, so could well leave if they get one for next year.

Share This Page