1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One Year Contract in Europe - Sabbatical

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by MinusNothing, Dec 1, 2018.

1. MinusNothing

MinusNothing New commenter

Hello,

I'm taking a one year sabbatical from my current UK position. I want to work abroad for that year, mainly looking at Europe.

From what I can see most contracts are either two years or permanent - would this be fair to say?
    Currently I feel like I have the following options:

- Be straight-up from the start.
    - After securing a position, negotiate a 1 year contract.
    - Only apply for Fixed Term 1 year contracts.
    - Only apply for Maternity cover etc.
    - Go for Permanent and rightly exit after one year.
    - Go for 2 years then do a runner!!!

What would you do to maximise chances of obtaining a position? - Is there anything else I've not thought of?

Ta,
    Minus

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

To clarify, the vast majority of international schools will have a 2 year initial contract, with a rolling 1 year renewal after that.
    You really wont get a true experience of international teaching in a year. You will barely getting use to the country before you have to leave, so i would question why you really want to do this?
    Its highly unlikely you will get into a decent international school as competition will be high. So you will more than likely be in a lower level school, and have a greater chance of having a negative experience.

If you really want to just go for a year, then there are a huge number of truly aweful schools in Spain. Thry will have terrible pay, but likely to have only 10 month contracts.

If you want a true experience, then go all in, commit, and i promise you, you wont ever want to return

3. MinusNothing

You didn't answer my question.

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

i thought i did - if you are going to do it, then do it properly. go full in. otherwise its really not worth it for a year. i would never advise lying to any school about your intensions. the international world is a very small world and it may hurt your future plans if you screw over a school.

MinusNothing and T0nyGT like this.
  5. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Why would you even consider options 2 and 6? You seem quite ok with messing around schools and students just to entertain yourself for a year.

I would take a look at either maternity cover, or TEFL jobs which are short term by definition.

6. MinusNothing

Thanks for your reply.
    6 was tongue in cheek. For real.

7. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

You seem to have a bright future in the international sector ahead of you.

8. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

Have you looked at exchange programmes as they are more suited to one year.

MinusNothing and 576 like this.
  9. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Schools aren’t really set up for what you’re after. There’s pretty much no benefit to school or students to take on a teacher who’s got one foot out the door on day one.

B0018877 and MinusNothing like this.
  10. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Occasional commenter

I can see how this suits you but it hardly suits a school or its pupils. They will have spent money on recruitment, perhaps on flights and initial accommodation too. And you won't be going for a year - you'll be there for a maximum of 10 months. Frankly, it's dishonest to take a job that you intend to leave in such a short time.

As TonyGT says, the only honest way to have your sabbatical is to do a CELTA and get a job in a language school. The British Council have jobs in Europe, though they are highly competitive and they may also want you to stay longer than a year.

B0018877, MinusNothing and gulfgolf like this.
  11. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

We have had teachers on sabbatical here in the past, but they've all had something special to offer. The one I remember best was a professor in elementary education from Boston University who did two one-year sabbaticals, but he was an accepted authority in his field (reading) and the school benefitted hugely from having him...
    If you have this sort of background, your best bet would be to write to some of the more successful schools directly to try to sell yourself...

MinusNothing likes this.
  12. MinusNothing

Great feedback people. Thanks a lot.

13. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

Good luck with your search, but, as indicated above, it's not going to be easy to find a school that fits with your requirements. Is there no way that your current school would extend the sabbatical to two years? That would make everything MUCH more feasible...

MinusNothing likes this.
  14. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

.....Whilst I agree with what others have said, there are schools out there with one year contracts. I know of one here in KL, and another in Moscow. I guess it depends on how picky you want to be with location but there will be options out there. Perhaps you are best off registering with an agency who can send your application to schools they know offer short term contracts?

MinusNothing likes this.
  15. gulfgolf

It would have to be a less established agency. The big ones want to know that you’re available for two years or more.

MinusNothing likes this.
  16. blue451

blue451 Occasional commenter

Rubbish. If you're looking for temporary work, get yourself on the books of as many agencies as you can to increase the chances of being on the right list if/when a suitable post comes up.

I got a great temporary post through a decent agency once - if a good school has a temp vacancy, whatever the reason, they're not going to say to themselves "well I'd better only advertise this through the less well established agencies' are they?

MinusNothing likes this.
  17. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

What subject are you? I've seen a temp job or two advertised in Romania.

MinusNothing likes this.
  18. gulfgolf

Temp usually means no longer than a maternity cover. Search and ISS etc don’t really handle those sorts of things.

MinusNothing likes this.
  19. amysdad

amysdad Occasional commenter

You might be OK if you can sit tight to August, until the no-shows have not showed, and you might get a one year contract then. But if I were you, I'd be looking at some of the exchange programs to the US or Australia - otherwise you will be stuck for a bit.

MinusNothing likes this.
  20. bubblegirl83

bubblegirl83 New commenter

My school often has sabbatical covers (I'm doing one!) as they let so many of 'their' teachers go on sabbatical and need others to cover them. This is in a really good school. Could be the kind of thing you are looking for. they do not advertise anywhere other than direct so PM me if you would like the details.