1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

one year contract and maternity

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by missjones21, Apr 23, 2011.

1. missjones21

missjones21 New commenter

I am just waiting to find out if i have secured a one year teaching contract for this september, however my partner and i are getting married in 3 weeks time, and due to my partners age (and a few other reasons) would like to try for a baby asap.
    I was just wondering what the situation would be in terms of maternity leave for a one year contract. I am currently working as a foundation phase assistant, and definitely do not want to stay doing that in september (because of a stressful working relationship with the teacher, and also because i miss teaching!)
    I know this isnt a workplace dilema, but it could be if i land the the job and end up pregnant!
    Any advice would be appreciated, as i don't want to annoy the school I land the job in!

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I doubt you'll have any maternity rights in a year contract.
    Post this on the Pregancy forum.....might get a better answer from there!
    Otherwise why not start trying for a baby towards the end of the year. That way any pregnancy won't impact on a one year contract. A few months won't matter.

3. I think the only maternity pay you would get would be SMP or Maternity Allowance - ignore the labels, it's the same amount of dosh whichever you get, about £120 a week.
    Depending on when you had your baby you could return to work if you wanted to do this before your contract was up. Obviously, when your contract is up it's up.
    I'm in a similar situation but because I suffer from infertility and therefore need IVF my head is fully aware of my situation.
    Men's age doesn't have that great an impact on fertility (the age of the woman is very important) but you mentioned other reasons and I don't wish to pry. Maybe aim to conceive so that your baby will be born when your contract's finished. You need to think about what you'll do when you've had your baby - you'll be unemployed so are you going to go job hunting or spend a few years at home.
    Good luck with it all.