1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One World Week - small world play ideas

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Seadream, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

We have one world week next week where we celebrate different countries from around the world every day with a particular focus on the countries that children in the class come from (we're a very multicultural school). Does anyone have any ideas for small world play as I'd love to set up something special but am lacking in inspiration (not taught this with reception class before). Any ideas would be very welcome. Thanks!

2. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

Some great ideas della -thanks. How long did the island stay an island in the tuffspot? My lots would just be mixing it all up I think....

3. not sure if this helps but we are doing 80 days around the world ( but through the year) so we have done a display with a painted hot air balloon and used a box for the basket which the children put teddies in so they can be part of the display, we then put pictures of the different countries we have talked about or as the children say we went there, we did chinese new year we ate chinese food and dressed up and did a dragon dance, we also did burns night where we ate vegetable haggis, shortbread and made scottish flags, we have many more ideas to come in the year like one child comes from cornwall so we are making cornish pasties, we will be making leek soup wales, south african dances and then off to poland.
    hope it helps

4. Yeah, it did end up a bit of a mushy mess by the end of the first day. We salvaged it by putting a ring of stones around it to stop it merging into the sea!!

5. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

I love the idea - I think I'll try it- with stones!

6. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

Thanks Rhodes - loads of ideas!

7. I've got the Sport Relief early years pack, which has a lovely story poster in it about Sierra Leone - they've written some lovely activities around the poster and the story. The pack is free, all you have to do is sign up for it on the website and raise some money for Sport Relief - there's lots of other stuff in there too that might be useful for the week? Good luck! x

8. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

Thanks Lynnhuynh