1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One to One

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by hhhh, Jun 30, 2011.

1. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I have been approached by an agency offering to find me one to one supply work. I understood the one to one scheme would not be running in Sept. Can anyone confirm that it is running in any schools? Thasnk

2. Money is theoretically there but not ringfenced so schools can do what they want with the money and make provision as they see fit.
    Some may continue to use outside help for 121, others are employing new staff in some way to do 121 as well as teach a class, others are just going to use the money to pay for TAs and support in class. some don't know what they are going to do.

3. Give 1-2-1 a miss! I did some for a school last Autumn and not seen a penny.

4. I have done 1 to 1 for the last two years .. very rewarding!
    I was approached by a school I did some supply in. You should get just over £25 and hour.

5. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

Budgets for this scheme have been rolled out to schools this year rather than held by LEAs. I've already been asked to run the scheme again in one school and had it flagged up in another.
    I recommend you contact schools yourselves with CVs and big up your experience. The scheme isn't entirely gone and you will be better off than trying it through an agency. The hours can be done in the school day and if offered several children rotate the slots through the weeks so no child misses the same hour of the week more than a couple of times.

6. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Thanks. Which areas are you in? And are you primary or secondary? I am just really interested to know as I thought one to one was so good. I taught in on school for nearly two years and all the children improved about two levels, not because of me personally but because they needed attention from an adult, which in most cases they had never really had. Can't believe the scheme has stopped when it does so much good. The school even admitted it worked well (hence the reason they offered me more hours when the money was ringfenced) but that's life, they don't want to spend the money on a few individuals when it can be used for other things.
    But that's why I do feel so passionate about the job-we all went into teaching to make a difference (or maybe to balance books, make money, whatever!) so I would like to keep doing this sort of work. Doing private tuition is all very well, but the kids who have that tend to have parents who care about them anyway, what about the kids we teach, who might not?
    So am keen to hear which areas and which sectors are still employing one to one tutors. Thanks for all replies.

7. My school has now taken on a full time teacher to cover PPA and to provide 1-1 tuition. There is hope yet!