1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One-to-one tutor job in school - advice needed

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Popple83, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Popple83

Popple83 New commenter

Hello,
    Has anyone worked as a one-to-one tutor before?
    I've applied for a job in a Maths department and it's a casual/temporary post. It feels a bit vague so not sure what to expect.
    I don't like the idea of not teaching full days, although it sounds flexible with my availability and theirs. Apparently it could be 3 hours a day or five hours or 3 days, it would be planned in advance depending on the needs of the students.
    I'm currently on supply and worry how it will fit in my two spare days a week. Is it better to hope for a full day of work on supply?
    Obviously I would need to get the job first, but the interview means I would lose a day of pay, hence thinking about it more in advance.

Thanks in advance

2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well that basically sounds like a pros and cons on a piece of paper job for all the personal variables.It's not something anybody else can tell you. Distance? Prospects? Pay? Comfort? Kids? Summer term? Additional hours? Stress? Behaviour? Preparation? And so on.

In terms of losing a day's pay for interview-there is nothing wrong with you contacting the school and asking if they are able to interview on one of your 2 spare days. Tell them it is because you'd like to minimise disruption to your current classes, rather than the issue of losing pay. They might say yes,they might not, but either way they will respect you for considering your current cohort.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Check what they are planning to pay (and make sure you get a proper answer).
    I applied for an intervention post which said "pay to be discussed at interview"; at interview they said "well we didn't know what qualifications the applicants would have" (some were unqualified), clearly trying to imply that qualified teachers would be paid appropriately. A qualified teacher was offered one of the posts, but with very low pay. She said no, and although they eventually upped their offer to a reasonable amount, by then she'd been offered a job elsewhere.

4. Popple83

Popple83 New commenter

Thank you for the advice/comments. :)
    Pay seems ok. I'm going to go to the interview and see what happens.

5. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Is it with an agency or directly with the school? If it's with an agency, the money offered is higher because you may have to go through an Umbrella company (UC). I hate the way this works, so you might see an hourly rate of say £34 an hour, but when you have your NI, Tax, Holiday, Pension deductions taken out and ALSO the Employers Tax, Holiday, Pension deduction taken out, PLUS the UC's commission, you might be getting just shy of £20 an hour! You could get that tutoring students in their homes.

So always ask the questions such as:

a. Will I be working for an agency? Don't assume because you are having an interview in the school you will be paid by the school. Some SLTs interview you THEN expect you to register with agencies.
    b. Will I be paid PAYE or through an UC?
    c. If PAYE how much etc.?
    d. if paid via UC, how much is the UC's commission?

You need to see how much you will get via each payment stream. It's usually the same as the agency takes more commission from the £34 for admin. Remember if it via an agency, they have already taken off their commission before offering you the £34.

There are very few good deals out there for teachers these days. The profession has been taken over by sharks.

Good luck and I hope you've found a good opportunity. If not, RUN!