1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One to one tuition

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by mrs_han, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Just wondering if anyone can help. I'm currently a part-time year 5 teacher (mornings only) and have been asked to do some one-to-one tuition for the rest of this term. To fit it all in, my 2 hours preparation per tutee (7 pupils in total) has been timetabled for this week, ready for me to start tutoring next week. However, as planning will be ongoing throughout the course of the 10 weeks, is the Head allowed to ask me to fit it all into one week and therefore, stay at school every afternoon for 14 extra hours this week (2 hours for each pupil) although I want to spread the two hours planning out during the course of the tuition? Also, is the 2 hours planning/assessment etc supposed to take place in the school?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

2. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

It would certainly not be best practice, as you say, planning should be ongoing, it's not ilke noraml teaching where you have a SOW. However, is one toone ending in your school? In many areas it is, so realistically is unlikely to be inspected at thius stage, so may schools are 'bending the rules'. Look at itthis way, your lessons will still be of far more benefit to the pupils than nothing, so I would just enjoy doing it and nit worry too much about the rules.

3. I am doing 1-2-1 tuition at the moment (albeit at secondary level) but the planning is flexible and will no doubt change as your time with your tutees progresses. So it would be normal to do your planning in the course of your tuition. The money can't be carried forward to next term so perhaps that is something to do with it. I do my planning at home.

4. My planning is allowed to be flexible - I don't have to be at school although I usually allocate times when I'm there in between sessions. It just doesn't work having to do the planning before you start as I amend my approach as I go on - as you don't know the kids you can get it very wrong!

5. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

True. But let's face it, teachers always end up doing loads of extra work we don't get paid for. And think, you'd be spending hours filling out behaviour referrals if you were teaching a normal secondary class-and you don't get paid for that. And at least one to one gives you the satisfaction of knowing you are making a real difference.