1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One-to-one tuition. Ideas for maths games?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by brunetta, Mar 23, 2011.

1. brunetta

brunetta New commenter

Hi I'm an NQT doing supply and managed to get some one-to-one tuition work in a school via my supply agency.
    I've just started teaching numeracy and I was wondering about ideas for maths games.
    I've thought about:
    2 dice, doing halving, doubling, multiplication
    Using cards for place value work
    A game I found re multiples and factors,
    Guess my number eg. I double a number, subtract x and the answer is y. What was my number?
    Just found a division board game on TES.
    Basically, I'm after some more ideas for games, especially more challenging ones.
    The class teacher just told me to use lots of games, make the session lively...but I'm a bit stumped about games, especially as it's just me and one pupil.
    Also, do you do a mini-break in an hour long session?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Really you're going to have to look at the paticular remit for each child you're dealing with & 'tweak' some games, once you know the specific areas you need to work on.

3. brunetta

brunetta New commenter

Hi Laramfl05
    Thanks for such a quick reply! I take your point.
    The issue is that I'm not really given a remit by the teacher. I've had 2 pupils today and for one I definitely have more of an idea what to do as the child needs revision of basic maths skills due to a number of absences from school.
    However, the other one has sound number skills and basically my remit is to get her to show her workings out for Sats papers, verbalise methods etc. I'm having difficulty thinking of what kind of games do with this pupil as, for example, using the dice doesn't seem challenging enough for her (or at least I don't have a clue how to make it more challenging). She knows her times tables and has sound multiplication and division skills.
    Where do people get ideas for maths games from?

4. Hi
    You should have an individual programme for each child stating which objectives the class teachers wants you to cover. You should have a copy of this and so should the child's parents.

5. brunetta

brunetta New commenter

Yes Mixu that's what I understand 1:1 to be and I've mentioned that to the agency. It seems that some schools (around here anyway) don't bother and just leave everything up to the tutor basically with instructions 'to boost confidence'. I've heard one tutor sees pupils on a Saturday morning and has no liaison whatsoever with the teacher and school. It's as if schools suddenly realise that they still have these funds and they must spend them quickly. Shockingly, my pupils didn't even know they were going to come to me.
    It seems so wrong and I don't think the pupil can really get the best out of the sessions this way. If I don't know where they really need support it's a bit 'hit and miss' and it's only 10 sessions. I worked out with the 'weaker' pupil what I need to do through games, questions etc but I'm a bit perplexed about the other pupil. It seems to me more of a Sats booster session than seriously helping a pupil with gaps in knowledge about mathematical concepts (although I may be wrong as I've just had one session so I need to probe and challenge more).
    Ho hum. Better get on with planning. Glad to know though that this shouldn't be the norm so I don't feel so bad about being a bit perplexed but it does seem to put the onus on me with pupils I know very little or nothing about which I find quite stressful.

6. Hmm.... I got a lot of game-type activities out of the 100 lessons new framework books that I tweak/change difficulty on as required.
    Pairs games/pelmanism are always good - if you're doing things like converting units, time analogue to digital, number bonds, decimal and percentage equivalents... there IS something on resource bank that I know does the fraction/decimal/percentages equivalents as a computer based version too - I don't do the Govt. one-to-one but I do do a lot of private tutoring for a spot of extra cash and try to save as many flash-based games as I can onto my netbook, then I use it for a mid-session "break" for 5 minutes or so, or as a behaviour/concentration carrot at the end for 5-10 minutes.
    Another one is just a game board of random numbers - with rules that you have to pick at least one two-digit number... you pick three, add them together and if you get the right answer (your partner checks) you can claim those squares on the grid (I've got a laminated version of it I use two colours of whiteboard pens on)... winner is the one who gets the most squares. That one I've adapted from the 100 lessons Y4 book so I'm not taking credit for one that's not mine.
    Another one I use a lot (from No Fuss) is basically a bunch of decimal number cards - put into two piles, estimate which has the highest total... make them into two piles with equal totals... order from highest to lowest, then add your own 4 cards and do the same questions again - that one kids find really challenging.
    A different one from there - range of decimals between 0-8 and a number line to 10 - pick two decimals, add them and mark the number on the numberline alternating turns - winner gets three marks in a row.
    I've got more but I'd have to excavate my tutoring resource file to find them - also look in the old unit plans - often lots of ideas in there for game-type activities you can snazz up a bit and adapt.

7. brunetta

brunetta New commenter

Thanks MisterFlibble
    That's given me a few more ideas and pointed me in the direction of finding others. I'll have a hunt for the old unit plans. Thanks again.

8. Goodness! I have been observed twice this year with another one in a week's time ... this is done on behalf of the LEA.