1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One-to-one tuition...any advice?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by razziegyp, Mar 17, 2011.

1. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

Hi I do it after school for an hour 4 times a week..... you work in 10 session blocks per pupil at £25 an hour, but get paid for 12 sessions per pupil as two hours are meant to cover the planning. You must have some form of assessment to begin with as the whole point is that the children are meant to make fantastic progress during this time and you have to be able to prove it! So you will also need some form of end assessment activity. Children are supposedly meant to make two sublevels' progress in this time..... I find that 'aspirational' to say the least, but the system IS good, the kids are generally very motivated and do make really good progress. There are two forms that you have to fill in, one that sets initial targets and a lesson diary. I'm sure these will be provided. Whether it's right for you financially is something only you can decide. You'll get £300 a week for 10 weeks, plus a bit more for planning.....how does that compare with what you get on supply? Bear in mind that you might have to wait for it.... I only get paid when the 10 sessions are over, and then I have to wait while County gets its act together..... I did hear of someone doing 1-1 and getting paid monthly but I don't know how common that is. I would recommend it.... you really feel you're getting somewhere and you start thinking 'Why can't all kids be taught like this.... they'd really benefit!!'
    Hope this helps.

2. Yeah you have helped a lot, thank you!

I have just finished reading through a guidance booklet for tutors from the national strategies site and what you have said has made everything clearer. It has also made me think more about questions to ask my agent tomorrow.

I would like to do it because i think it will help me get to learn about assessment even more as an NQT and also something else to add when the permanent positions do become available.

Thanks again!!

3. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

Cheers.... good luck!

4. Hi. Any recommendations on where to go to get some work please? And is there any reason why an NQT can't do this (I've completed one term of induction).