1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One to one to group..Advice needed

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by microbiology, Jul 2, 2018.

1. microbiology

microbiology New commenter

Hi All,

I have been tutoring for 3.5 yrs now and have gotten excellent results every year from B-A*, mainly A-A*. I tutor A level Biology

Due to family commitments, I was thinking of going from doing one to one to maybe a group of 5 students. However, I am too scared of losing my clients. I have told everyone already that I will cut down on the one to one and many were not happy with it.

Pls could you share your experience on this and any advice will be much appreciated

Thanks

2. theluckycat

theluckycat Occasional commenter

You could sell the benefits more eg talk for learning, the benefits of mixed-ability etc. It sounds like yours are all higher attainers having said that, but these would be some of the benefits at primary level.

3. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Of course many are not happy. With one to one a student gets a lesson tailored specifically to their needs, which is the main selling point of private tutoring.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  4. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

It depends what your reasons are for the change. Is it because you have less time but want more money? ie each tutee pays less but overall you earn more per hour. You will need to find more tutees for one, all of whom are willing to share, this may not be that easy. Why not just try it, see if you can recruit enough to fill several slots but don't lose your 1 to 1's until or unless the group tutoring takes off. In the short term, as each tutee leaves, don't fill the slot. That way they aren't being dropped.

'Talk for learning' really isn't applicable to A'level.

5. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Personally I think this may be more hassle than it is worth. What happens if someone is not there one week? What happens during the holidays? What happens when someone turns up and says we did XYZ in school today and I didn't get it, can you help me please?

It depends on their reason for learning, I teach languages and I used to teach two groups in a local library. They were learning for fun so we played games that you can't do in a one to one. However, the area is on the border between two boroughs and the school holidays were not always at the same time.

I no longer teach groups as I find it too restrictive. Sometimes I need to change times of lesson for logistics as new students start as old ones leave. This is much easier to ask someone to move back / forward half hour or whatever than it is to move a whole group, so you may find yourself having to turn down work because you can't move a group for the sake of half an hour.

6. microbiology

microbiology New commenter

Thanks for all your replies
    I see the pros and cons of it. How about. Groups of 2-3?

7. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Why not offer a reduced rate for two or three students together? Ideally, you probably want to pick up students from the same school, so they're likely to have covered the same things in similar depth. The student/parent who is wondering about tuition but worried about the cost might then ask round and see if they can find a friend - and if the pairing comes from them it's more likely to go well.

8. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Lead commenter

As @David Getling said, one of the advantages of 1-2-1 tuition is that it is focussed purely on the student's needs. I have tried, at parental request, having two or more students in the same session but it has never worked out well.

9. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Same here. There are two main problems. Other students can get frustrated when you are addressing another student's problem that they don't need help with. The second problem is that offering a cheaper rate invariably attracts students and parents who will mess you around.

10. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Lead commenter

That is what I found too, @David Getling. More than o student is teaching, not tuition. It would be like a GP seeing patients in groups, instead of individually: most of the consultation has nothing to do with any one patient.

11. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

There has only been one small group in 10 years of private tutoring that has worked well. This was 2 friends who knew each other very well and were willing to work by themselves while the other received help.
    In the other cases though I have found that it hasn't really worked either because one tutee was too dominant or they were very unequally matched academically or one was less motivated and dropped out. The other then didn't want to pay the increased rate for one-to-one tuition.
    I still offer group tuition as there could be other examples where it could work e.g. twins who both need help.
    However I also receive lots of requests that are totally unreasonable e..g teaching 2 siblings one doing GCSE and the other A level isn't a group lesson. My advert makes it clear that a group is 2 students in the same year group, course and syllabus