1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One to One in schools

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by ttillier, Nov 3, 2011.

1. I did last year and they always done the homework otherwise it would reflect on their report

(i did reports to the parents at the end of the term)

Wish schools in my area were doing 1 to 1 this year instead of spending it on classroom assistants - oh well :(

2. DeborahCarol

DeborahCarol New commenter

Thank you, Ttillier. Reports ... interesting. Might do that!

3. They don't take a lot of time but nice to keep in touch with the parents and also the school likes it (and also they do help the maths teachers too as they can sometimes show some things missed in the atmosphere of a whole classroom environment), After i left the school (cos they moved the funding), I had 6 of my 1 to 1s come to me for private tutoring as the parents felt the students made progress through the 1 to 1 scheme.

4. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

That was lucky-the ones I had had parents who wouldn't have dreamed of supporting them in that way. Unfortunately, in most areas the only pupils who will now have one to one tutoring are those with caring parents. But back to the original question-I would say set something they will want to do if possible, and not 'obvious' work, eg why did that magazine article on Cheryl Cole do...etc etc

5. DeborahCarol

DeborahCarol New commenter

Thanks, hhhh, although, I am teaching Maths, and any homework I did give would be 'basics'. Not very interesting for them, but very much needed.

6. saynotoboxticking

saynotoboxticking New commenter

don't bother with h/w -they either won't do it, or it'lll be done badly undoing all the hard work you spent on 1-2-1.

My experience is it is always the C/D borderline kids that benefit from this programme, but you have to bare in mind their (lack) of work ethic - they won't do anything outside of the lesson... individual tuition allows you to cover vast amounts of material in depth quickly - this should be enough for those that are responsive...

7. I've set homework. I tell them its to see if they can remember what we did in the session and sort out what they are still having problems with. I've also used websites for them to use as practice. With younger children I've spoken to parenst regularly.
    Interesting that the pupils who are committed and who follow up the work tend to be the ones who make most progress and get the most out of the sessions!