1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One third of the food we buy goes in the bin!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by kibosh, May 24, 2011.

1. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Apparently.
    In our house I would say that the figure is more like 5%.
    Many left overs and rotten things are easily scoffed tween the birds (bread, apples), squirrels(apples), foxes (all meaty things) and our cats (fat cut from bacon etc). Very few things are thrown out because they are past their sell by date or have gone off. We shop too frequently for that to happen.
    How efficiently do you eat all that you buy?

2. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I don't meal plan - purely because when I do I never fancy what I have 'planned' so would probably end up wasting more food that way. Instead, I know the types of meals I eat and always make sure I have a good stock of those basic ingredients at home. For example I will buy chicken breasts every week, I will buy fish every week, I get my veg box regularly delivered etc. However, I will freeze meat into portions, and use veg in an 'order' before it goes off. I also batch cook and freeze into portions. I would say it is not necessarily about planning in the supermarket but organisation in the kitchen. I probably waste 5% - maybe up to 10% on a really bad week if some veg have gone before I've realised (and that really annoys me)!

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Because my OH makes a big fuss about how he doesn't know what he'll want to eat next Tue, lol. Now I'm dieting its tough luck. Crusted cod & jersey royals tonight, ox tails tomorrow (first time! Saw them on come dine with me and though we'd have a go) Chicken & Broc Lasagna Thur and have to replan again from Fri... x

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I think I/we do the same. Much of your post sounds familiar.
    I have an absolute horror of throwing food out.

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

My understanding is that the 1/3 figure includes all the food discarded by the supermarkets because it is past its sell by date.

6. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Time to say Bog Off to the bogof!

7. My husband buys, without discussion, a Real Bargain at the supermarket regardless of the fact that i have nothing in to convert it into a meal.

8. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

I love meal planning because it means that I don't have to come home and think "ooh, what do I fancy?" - I just look at the list on the fridge and it tells me what to eat! If I'm feeling very spontaneous we might swap Tuesday's meal for Wednesday's, or similar, but otherwise it makes things very simple.
    Having a fixed list that relates only to the meals you're going to cook really helps you resist unnecessary special offers, I find. (Apart from the Pimm's on 2 for £20 last week which I see as a storecupboard investment.)

9. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Aha, so people really do this (makes sense if you are busy and have kids) . . . . .
    I suspected it was more than being organised about shopping. It's quite prescriptive I suppose, but pre-planning to this extent obviously takes away the whole thing of staring into the fridge and wondering what to cook. No argument, today is Tuesday and we are having stew.
    Sorry I'm just kind of musing out loud . . . .I was wanting clarification (definitive proof as it were) on what people meant by the phrase.
    Do you think it helps cut down on waste at all?

10. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

When you have the contents of a small supermarket dotted around the place you can cook exactly what you desire when you fancy it. The trick is to have an absolutely crammed chest freezer. Wastage is minimal, the crumbs off the bread are wiped up, that is it.
    Though I do seem to be existing on choccy crunch cereal, bananas and custard, and goose egg omelette at the moment.