1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One thing my NQT year didn't prepare me for.....

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Thelastchancesaloon, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Couldn't agree more. I do sometimes leave soon after the kids, but that's because I like to see my own children occasionally! I added up how much time they had from me last week and I spent LESS THAN AN HOUR a day with both of them because of the workload consuming me. As a single parent, there's no-one to help with that side of things so I tend to bring work home with me so they're not left home alone (early teens) but I routinely work till nearly midnight, sometimes later, every weekday. I stay late at least twice a week to run intervention classes and/or detentions, then there's the NQT after-school stuff, when the planning/marking still needs to get done once I get home. My frees are often taken up with the latest data-chasing initiative that has to be done 'this minute' so work gets dragged home.
    At weekends, I take Friday nights off and usually some of Saturday if I am lucky enough to see my partner, who lives some distance away. But most of Sunday and the remainder of Saturday, I'll be working. I work in the holidays too - though I DO ensure I have quality time off then as well. I am hating my NQT year, even though my school are lovely. I have never felt so exhausted and frankly I don't care about the teacher-bashers. Let em walk a mile in my shoes first!

2. I think we just have to learn to ignore it, I've had all the supposedly jokey 'half the year off, 9-3 days' comments from friends and relatives and it does irritate me at times. I always get to work by 8am, normally 7.30, and I very rarely leave before 4.30pm. There are some days when I do leave early so I can collect my own children from afterschool club or because I'm exhausted and just want to get out of the school, but on those days I have to take marking home and prepare resources at home so it's not as if I get out of working [​IMG].

We do get GREAT holidays and I'm really grateful for them, but term time is manic and I can't think of many jobs where it's just taken for granted that you'll do so much work at home.

3. Suggest to anyone who thinks a teacher's job is a soft option that they try it for themselves.
    Funny how few of them want to try ... [​IMG]
    Watch Taylor Mali "What Teachers Make" on YouTube. Very heartening.