1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One terms notice...but...

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Mrs_Hamilton, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Mrs_Hamilton

Mrs_Hamilton Occasional commenter

my final question...I hope...
    Contract says one terms notice.
    When given planning when I started the job the long term planning for one year had term 1, term 2...3..4....term 5 and term 6.

Do you think this means I can hand notice 31st oct for Dec leave, 31st Feb for Easter leave and 31st may for summer leave?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Is this a maintained or independent school?

3. Mrs_Hamilton

Independent.
    Previous staff have not given a full 'old' term notice.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Then you will need to ask the Bursar what it means. Does it say On or before the first day of term in your contract, by the way?

They might have joined the school at a time when there was a different notice period, and been allowed to keep it. This is fairly common when the notice period has been changed to a whole term, for existing staff to keep the old conditions of half a term.

Best wishes

Mrs_Hamilton likes this.
  5. Mrs_Hamilton

Thank you.

6. Mrs_Hamilton

Just wanted to say thank you for you help.

I've checked my most recent contract which asks for 'not less than 3 months' before 31st Dec 31st April or 4 months before 31st August. :-(

This puts me in what feels like an impossible situation because I need to secure a job in the first month of any term before I can hand my notice in...which as I've discovered is going to require a miracle.

I do know a colleague has handed in notice with less time, and one colleague was 'given' her notice with considerably less time...a week. So, given the situation I'm in, I think it's best I just stick it out til summer and ensure I have my notice handed in 4 months before 31st August and deal with ridiculous working conditions. It really is more of a mess than I imagined.

Thanks again Theo.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

But Mrs H - if you looked on Friday in TES, you would have seen that some indy schools are ALREADY advertising positions for September . . .

You don't have to start looking at the beginning of a term. Start now!

P.S. 31st April? Does it really say that? :)

Mrs_Hamilton likes this.
  8. Mrs_Hamilton

Ha @ 31st April! :confused:
    Thanks for your positive reply.
    I am going to keep looking. I'm looking for a 'maintained' school, and we will see what comes up, there might even be something that comes along in Jan (or even before) for an Easter start.
    I feel more empowered now and know what has to be done.
    :)

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter