1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One small step for man...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon2113, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Goodbye Neil. A hero for most of my life.

2. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Indeed Bauble he made me (us) believe there was was no horizon on any planet we couldn't reach. I remember staying up all night to see the moment when his foot trod down on the moon, the like of which in its time stilling importance, we knew in our lifetime would not be replicated in its significance.

3. That's brought a lump to my throat. It's beautiful. Thank you.
    One of my earliest childhood memories is watching the moon landings on our very new black and white TV. I was spellbound. I always think of that moment when I'm out walking at night when the sky is crystal clear and the moon is big and bright.

4. Of the 12 men who walked on the moon, Neil Armstrong's death leaves only (I think) eight surviving: Conrad, Shepard and Irwin all dying in the nineties. I remember watching those ghostly, slow-scan, black and white pictures of the first Moon walk, early on the morning of Monday, July 21st 1969. Later on, the Moon rose and it was strange to look up at it knowing that there were two men perhaps looking down on me.

5. What a full life. Not bad going at all.

6. I love the folk myth about 12 y/o Neil's next door neighbours. :¬))

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

A true hero and an inspiration to this 12 year old who was allowed to stay up and watch it live.

RIP Neil.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I use this vid clip in class. Armstrong isn't one of the interviewees sadly but it does illustrate just how precarious these missions were and how brave were the guys riding at the top.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyA1Y4dUIfs

9. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Many years ago I saw the Apollo 11 command module in the Smithsonium museum in Washington. As an aircraft engineer I was flabbergasted and awestruck by the cramped cockpit with basic clunky switches and dials that I would hesitate to entrust driving on the motorway let alone leaving the earth! Some grit was needed to crew such machines.

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I thought that was about Buzzz Aldrin.

11. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Think not only was he of a different generation, he was also exceptionally brave (as they all were), brought on by the American self-belief which is unique today, let alone back then. I think he had to manually land the pod too, with less than 30 seconds of fuel left (otherwise they would not be able to get the power to take off again!!!) and he successfully did so, finding a safe spot in all the rocks and craters. Yes, that American confidence can appear arrogant at times but Armstrong really was a true, All American hero. And the only person in the history of mankind who could genuinely say he did something before all of us.

12. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Neil Tyson has tweeted
    "Neil Armstrong was the spiritual repository of spacefaring dreams &
    ambitions. In death, a little bit of us all dies with him"

13. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

The following is the prepared sppech had it all gone horribly wrong.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. "Neil Armstrong was the spiritual repository of spacefaring dreams & ambitions. In death, a little bit of us all dies with him"
    So true....
    I saw the moon-walk too..and was in awe of that team of spacemen. We sat in hushed silence, late at night, huddled around the old black and white TV.
    We've had so many pioneers in the course of history but Neil Armstrong and the team crossed a frontier mere mortals never thought would happen.
    The moon was made of cheese, wasn't it? It was something we'd never ever know about...or so we thought. There aren't the words to describe the fact that men walked on it...'Awesome' doesn't do that feat justice.

RIP Neil.
    Son has come home this morning and expressed his disgust that so many papers have front page news of the 'ginger ****' all over them, even though Armstrong has died. That really is a sad indication of what matters to some, isn't it? Shame on those editors.

15. doomzebra - that's quite something. Whew!
    *Tries to compose self. Fails*

16. Jonha

Jonha New commenter

Can you imagine being at one of the parties where people present themselves with a list of their achievements and how marvellous they are, then ask Armstrong what he has ever done or achieved.....and he says 'I was the first man to walk on the moon. Now what was so special again about this Porsche car of yours?'

17. ha, love it. That would be amazing, must have occurred somewhere along the lines.
    I just love the fact he went back to his old life. Stayed away from celebrity and money, and just carried on being a normal average man. That says an awful lot.