1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One pupil who seems to love been the centre of attention.

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by teachingisacalling, Mar 19, 2012.

1. I am a trainee teacher and have not long taken over a year 7 class in which there is one boy who seems to love to be the centre of attention. He is not badly behaved but when I ask the class a question his hand shoots up. Firstly if I don't pick him to answer the question and move onto the next activity he insists on making his point and gets very agitated. When I do pick him to answer he begins to answer the question then when I start to move onto another activity or to asking another pupil he begins to ramble on about sometimes relevant but sometimes irrelevant silly things which he thinks could be associated with the question. When I ask him to stop he's had his turn he talks loudly over me as if he cannot here me. I have noticed he does this in form period too. How do I get this to stop? He is a really lovely child and has some good answers. How do I control this behaviour without discouraging him to still contribute to questions and discussion without him fearing he will get in trouble.
    Thanks

2. I am a trainee teacher and have not long taken over a year 7 class in which there is one boy who seems to love to be the centre of attention. He is not badly behaved but when I ask the class a question his hand shoots up. Firstly if I don't pick him to answer the question and move onto the next activity he insists on making his point and gets very agitated. When I do pick him to answer he begins to answer the question then when I start to move onto another activity or to asking another pupil he begins to ramble on about sometimes relevant but sometimes irrelevant silly things which he thinks could be associated with the question. When I ask him to stop he's had his turn he talks loudly over me as if he cannot here me. I have noticed he does this in form period too. How do I get this to stop? He is a really lovely child and has some good answers. How do I control this behaviour without discouraging him to still contribute to questions and discussion without him fearing he will get in trouble.
    Thanks

3. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

Sounds like half a dozen of my Year 7s! It generally takes them a while to realise that they're not the only ones in the class and while they want to show off how much they know, you've got a lesson to teach! Have you had a quiet word with him? If seems to take your words on board and then continues, I would start a strategy of limiting the amount of contributions he makes in class discussions, but giving him ample opportunity to discuss things with you when the others are working. I agree that you don't want to put him off, but he does need to learn to be more considerate to you and the rest of the class.

4. ceesaw

ceesaw New commenter

Maybe you could do a 'p4c' lesson where you give them a topic to discuss in class as a circle (works best when connected somehow with your unit of work) and have scribes to track the number of responses from individual students. Discuss the importance of sharing and LISTENING and have students setting their own target about the need to share more or listen more. They could write down in books. This would encompass the whole class and perhaps when your attention seeking child engages in this behaviour you could gently remind him about the target set in his book about the importance of listening and allowing others to share their ideas.