1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One primary teacher's open letter to the government: 'The standards expected are now untenable'

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Feb 24, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Open letters are fashionable these days.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I hope she is not holding her breath waiting for a reply. I doubt it will reach Morgan's desk. Some lower grade wonk will file it in the bin.

petenewton likes this.
  4. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Exactly! I'm sure we're all mistaken for thinking that she doesn't really care about teachers or education though...

5. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

A very eloquent letter which sums up everything that is wrong at the moment. I shall send the link to my Governing Body to reinforce the message that they have been given from myself.

The part about mental health issues is very relevant as I am taking an increasing number of phone calls from parents with children in all year groups. They are concerned about the anxieties that their children have because they don't want to come to school. They are simply struggling with the work and school is no longer enjoyable.

petenewton likes this.
  6. DoctorLecter

DoctorLecter New commenter

I'm getting my mum to phone in.....

I enjoyed reading that letter - very well written and very well said.

petenewton likes this.
  7. teacheramyb

teacheramyb New commenter

This is a great letter that summarises all of the key concerns about the new assessment system. It echoes the thoughts and feelings of myself and several year 6 colleagues who met today as part of a local schools' network meeting. I hope that the time and effort put into making the arguments so effectively is rewarded by a response that confirms that the suggested actions outlined towards the end will be taken.

petenewton likes this.
  8. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

Great letter.

The government really have made a total mess of this. It makes me angry that so many children are being set up to fail and in the same breath these hypocritical creatures in Whitehall are claiming to care about children's mental health.

It will be the fault of the teachers though, naturally.

petenewton likes this.
  9. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Talk to the hand ...[​IMG]

10. paulscales

paulscales New commenter

Levels were "a common language"? What rubbish. Has she never read any of the evidence against them, which showed that different teachers would give different levels to the same child? And that schools inflated them to show dubious "progress"? And that pupils were pushed on to "the next level" despite having serious gaps in their knowledge and understanding?

11. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

Why is it still impossible to comment on the letter without going to the forum??

12. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

The only thing I disagree about is the reintroduction of levels. Getting rid of them was pretty much the only good thing the government has done with education.

Unfortunately, they screwed this up by continuing to rely on data as a way of measuring progress and informing performance management targets. Coupled with a new wave of head teachers who have been brain washed by NPQH that data is king and you have half baked assessment systems replacing levels aimed not at assessing accurately, but at quantifying attainment.

Everything else she said was spot on.

13. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

That's fair. It's a good job then that they've been replaced by the absolute clarity that we have now!

Said it before and I'll say it again. Let teachers teach and stop trying to put numbers on children's development!

14. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Maybe year 6 teachers should boycott them?

Or if not then maybe the kids could be 'sick' that week........

15. Jeremyinspain

The (sad) truth of the matter is that Michael Gove went to a certain type of school, was educated in a certain way, and did very well. So... (follow the logic) everyone should be educated in the same way as him. Hence, the emphasis on technical grammar, obscure spellings, Roman numerals, Kings & Queens, chronologically-taught history, Latin, Ancient Greek, fagging... (OK, so I made the last one up.)
    And Nicky Morgan?
    Not an original thought in her head. (That's possibly a blessing in the long run.)

16. lightningconductor

lightningconductor New commenter

So are skinny jeans but I'm not sure what relevance that has to this post.
    A well-written letter, expressing a coherent opinion that I suspect many teachers in the state sector will agree with.

sarachandler3 and Jeremyinspain like this.
  17. Jeremyinspain

Oh, and the disappearance of 'levels'? Well, doesn't that make it impossible to make comparisons with standards in the past...?

Hmmmm...

raquelle00 likes this.
  18. Jeremyinspain

And isn't it slightly unfair to test children on a four-year curriculum (SPaG) when they've only studied it for two years?

Oh, just seen Nicky M's video. ¨'...having studied enough of the new curriculum...'

Um, that would be half of it!

You couldn't make this up.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    raquelle00 likes this.
  19. JAC 22

JAC 22 New commenter

20. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

The OP is about an open letter