1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One or two

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ilando, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Advice from dog owners please...

My parents (retired) have a beautiful 9 month old corgi. He is a lovely dog and they dote on him. They are considering getting another dog so that their corgi has a playmate etc.

They are weighing up the pros and cons at the moment- would anyone be so kind as to share their thoughts.

2. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

We have one dog at the moment, she is a small dog and our two daughters fight over who gets to hold her lead, pet her etc. Sometimes I think it might be better for them to have a dog each!
    I think Corgis may need quite a lot of walking and while they may manage with one, two might be more of a handful, especially as your parents are retired.
    Having two dogs, means double the vet and food costs. I would suggest that your parents befriend other dog owners to arrange play dates or walks. I don't think dogs feel lonely if they are in a loving home.

3. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

We had an elderly boxer who was starting to look old and lethargic. She'd reached an age when vets bills became more regular, had two tumours removed and to be honest, we didn't expect her to see the year out.
    My wife wanted to get another one, fearing we would be without a dog, and for a long time I opposed it as I didn't think it would be fair. Eventually my wife had her way and I discovered how wrong I'd been. The old dog took on a new lease of life and lasted another three happy years before her back legs gave out and we had to let her go.
    I don't know about the temperment of corgis, but boxers love company, both human and canine. We never found that two dogs were significantly more of a handful than one.

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

We have only ever had 2 dogs. In some ways it is easier. They play together. I feel better about leaving them during the day. When we go away they are in the kennels together. They enjoy their walks more for someone to chase (lurchers!)
    Vets bills and food bills double. Kennels costs don't. They go in a double kennel which is cheaper then two singles.
    The main difficulties of having a dog aren't changed by having two of them. You'd be going out for a walk anyway. Issues surrounding leaving them aren't changed.
    I would only ever have 2 dogs now.

5. impis

impis New commenter

I ended up with 2 dogs some years ago. Both rescues. The younger one adored the other and when the older dog died, the younger one pined away. Her organs failed and she had to be PTS just 6 months later. I think that if Mr impis had agreed to another dog at that time, she would have been much happier and would not have died of a broken heart.

6. AW Impis that's awful! We have considered getting a friend for our boy, but are a bit nervous by doubling the vets bills! I asked a friend who works at Battersea and he advised to leave it a while and let ours be the only dog for a year or more to establish his position securely before considering letting another come along and challenge him. It's been a year now, and this thread has started me wondering again.