1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One off idea wanted for Maths lesson Year 4/5

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Wonderwoman1, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Wonderwoman1

Wonderwoman1 New commenter

I have got to take a one off maths lesson with a mixed ability class of year 4 and 5's. Some of the behaviour of the class is difficult. Can anyone suggest a maths lesson that I could do?

They don't usually do Maths together as they usually have Maths in year groups.

Thanks

wonderwomanjen@hotmail.co.uk

2. Wonderwoman1

I have got to take a one off maths lesson with a mixed ability class of year 4 and 5's. Some of the behaviour of the class is difficult. Can anyone suggest a maths lesson that I could do?

They don't usually do Maths together as they usually have Maths in year groups.

Thanks

wonderwomanjen@hotmail.co.uk

3. Uh, no... I would however be happy to help you if you suggested what you were thinking of doing. Sometimes you have to use your own brain a bit you know!

4. Wonderwoman1

Thank you thursdayschild, for bothering to reply even if the reply wasn't very helpful!!! They are a difficult class.

I had thought of doing some Maths investigations. I would like to do something interesting and something enjoyable.

5. Hello WW,
    I suggested this site earlier this evening for a Y6 lesson, but I think this investigation would work with Y4/5 as it can easily be differentiated. Have seen it used with PE hoops with children standing in them to represent the frogs.
    Hope this helpful

6. Not very helpful. Forgot the site
    http://www.subtangent.com/maths/ig-leapfrog.php

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Try www.teachingideas.co.uk for lots of fun one off ideas.

8. We shared a packet of skittles (or something similar) and investigated the different colours in the packet. We made tally charts and graphs to show the results. BUT you have to make sure you are allowed to have sweets in school and nobody is allergic etc You could do the same thing with counters, but I know my lot would not have been so enthusiastic as I allowed them to eat them at the end of the lesson!

9. Flapjack4

Flapjack4 New commenter

What a waste of time reply.
    Engage your brain and use it for good, not scorn.

10. BrainTeaser556

BrainTeaser556 New commenter

11. vannie

vannie Lead commenter

It was 8 years ago. I think they're over it by now.

12. hammie

hammie Lead commenter