1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"One night" BBC last week

Discussion in 'Personal' started by robyn147, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Anyone watch this. I saw an episode on Wednesday which meant I had to catch up on the first two. I thought it was really interesting - realistic? Well I'm not up to scratch on gang culture and life on a council estate but Alfie's life is probably not dissimilar to some young kids. Having to care for his siblings, no father figure and wanting to be a hard man in a gang. Middle class families living near a council estate. Youths hanging out. Actions of teenagers being misinterpreted.
    I enjoyed it - did Alfie do the right thing by not "grassing on the gang"? Should Jake's mum have defended him? Was Jake trying to do the right thing by Alfie?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Anyone watch this. I saw an episode on Wednesday which meant I had to catch up on the first two. I thought it was really interesting - realistic? Well I'm not up to scratch on gang culture and life on a council estate but Alfie's life is probably not dissimilar to some young kids. Having to care for his siblings, no father figure and wanting to be a hard man in a gang. Middle class families living near a council estate. Youths hanging out. Actions of teenagers being misinterpreted.
    I enjoyed it - did Alfie do the right thing by not "grassing on the gang"? Should Jake's mum have defended him? Was Jake trying to do the right thing by Alfie?

3. joli2

joli2 New commenter

I really enjoyed it too. Don't know about any of your questions; I usually just watch the telly slack-jawed and brain not engaged.

4. I watched it. I thought it was one of the best things I have ever seen on the TV, very representive of the population where I teach, not far fro where it was set,I think it highlights the issue that society is in its current sate probably due to appalling parenting and poor housing. Refreshing as education wasn'tt being made the scapegoat for a change! Have you seen it all yet?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Watched the last one last night. Think it would be good for secondary school pupils as raises lots of discussion points. Jumping to conclusions. Over reactions. Sticking up / protecting people.
    I wonder if social services were surprised by Alfie's mums tan - considering she was supposed to be on chemo. Still - I do think it represents some children's lives.

6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It was very thought provoking. I loved the twisting interconnected plot and the fact that Ted's interpretation of events in episode 1 was so wrong. Most of the main characters were not 'bad' people but some ended up doing bad things, most of all poor Alfie. Rochelle wasn't bad at all but her simple act of dropping litter inadvertantly led to so much. It's the sort of drama that sticks in your mind and we don't get enough of these days.

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

But she wasn't the one who dropped the litter! The man saw her eating the crisps but didn't see the 'chavs' from her school grabbing the packet from hear, finishing it off and dropping the packet. the man then challenged Rochelle and it was one of the other girls that used abusive language to him. he identified the wrong culprit at the school.
    I don't think Alfie murdered the guy either. I think he hesitated with the gun and one of the lads already in the gang took it from him and used it to be rid of a witness to the beating up of the Somali lad. Poor Alfie just couldn't bring himself to be a 'grass' - or maybe he feared for repurcussions on his family.
    Absolutely cracking drama with powerful performances from a range of characters. We were hooked from episode one which saw things from the murdered man's perspective.

8. Yes I agree - really good drama, so clever the way it took the perspective of four different people on one night. It really added depth to the characters as it took the time to do it. I watched the last episode last night and was really saddened by Alfie's story - those poor children!! Is it any wonder that children like Alfie do not see school as particularly relevant? - A desperately sad snapshot of the way some people are living in the 21st century.

9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

You're right they were knocked out of her hand, I suppose she could have picked it up and not made the sassy (but not abusive) comment but she was, in no way, responsible for anything that happened later and was wrongly identified.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Which makes you wonder about how the school reacted. I think an important question for discussion is "not grassing your mates up". I certainly remember a culture at my school that you wouldn't sneak on people. Schools all too often see an incident from one perspective and jump to the wrong conclusions, especially if people have form.
    Is it suitable for showing to teenagers? I think a lot of discussion could come out of it.

11. I saw the last part (came across it by accident and was instantly hooked). the boy playing Alfie was fantastic. I will have to watch it from the beginning now. Shame it didn't get the publicity other programmes (of less quality) get.

12. I agree with all these comments. I've just watched it all in one day between jobs and was very impressed. The press reviews were thin on the ground and not always positive which is a shame. I think it was worthy of a more popular time slot and really made me think about the many assumptions I can so easily make about kids and their parents.
    The young actors were great, I would love to see more of these characters in the future.

13. Brilliant. I watched it all on iplayer yesterday. Compelling viewing and some fab acting. Download it before it goes!

14. Me too, I thought it was excellent.
    In answer to those wondering if was suitable viewing for teenagers, my 14 year old son was as compelled as I was. It provoked some very good discussion on gangs and the snap judgements we all make and the impact this can have on our perceptions of others.