1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One More Term!

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by iankelly, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Just sitting here in school on our inset day, first day of summer term. Just sat through 3 hours of the usual 'let's hit the ground running' rubbish that I have been listening to for years..'we have lots to do this term..BLAH BLAH BLAH! "....The young NQTs look exhausted already and the older teachers look disillusioned. BUT it is my last term and I feel so sure that I have made the right decision to retire at 55. I just want this term to pass so that I can go. But I will miss colleagues and pupils.

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Yes you will but you will also feel healthier than you have done for many years and as time passes the whole school thing will simply become irrelevant to your new life.

3. Thanks Lindenlea, that's what I am hoping.

4. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I totally agree with lindenlea - just wish I could have done it when I was 55. Enjoy saying to yourself all this term "well that's the LAST time I will have to do that........" Such an exhilarating feeling.

5. I'm feeling just the same, having also decided to retire at the end of this term. However, I've managed to stick it out until I reached my retirement age of 61 in March and now I am counting down the days. The reality will really hit after half term when the last lot of reports are handed in. I can't wait!

6. agree with lindenlea- the first term I missed everyone lots now I am in another world- you will be too :)

7. redx11

redx11 New commenter

Well i've finally done it and it is my last term also. Managed to work past retirement age and im worried slightly about the future but can't stay there forever. Will miss the kids and most of the parents and of course most of my colleagues but not the constant paper work.

8. alfredrussell

alfredrussell New commenter

50 teaching days left.
    My last 2 weeks of A level teaching, that I will miss. My L6 (NI year 13) I will miss. They are possibly the best single class of 21 young people (in terms of ability and personality) I have ever taught. I am actually sorry I will not take them through to U6.
    Starting to bin stuff instead of filing it away. Marking last sets of coursework (ISAs) preeparing last sets of junior school exams. All feels very strange