1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

one journey home: two aggressive confrontations

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dunnocks, Mar 14, 2019.

1. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

witnessed,

between leavers and remainers

is this what we are coming to?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

One trusts not. :(

Though it does seem to have 'brought out the worst' and divided people more than one might have anticipated.

cissy3 likes this.
  3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Why is anyone surprised by this? The whole stupid Brexit thing has divided this country and the longer the incompetence goes on the more unsettled people will be and the angrier they will get.

4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Established commenter

You only have to read the Brexit threads to know it's not surprising.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing in the wrong hands.

smoothnewt likes this.
  5. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Oh no-what happened?

6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

one person on the bus said something audible to a friend about last nights vote. then several different men on the bus all piled into her, and then there was something going on in the highstreet, a group of young men ad women, about 8 or so I guess, kicking off outside the premises of an estate agent, known or suspected of voting leave. Someone told me in the chip shop that at least one stone had been thrown, but I don't think it was a big stone, or that it did any damage. There was mixed feelings in the chip shop about whether this was justified or not.

7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

"they re playing with our lives" was what was being said in the chip shop.

monicabilongame likes this.
  8. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

The people outside the estate agent office were banging on the door and window and shouting. The door was locked. I don't know if anyone was inside.

9. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I feel that way about Estate Agents, but nothing to do with Brexit!

10. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Probably not, we have always been there. There are enough d-heads in society to start a fight in an empty room, on any subject.
    If one talks loudly in public about any emotive or popular subject, the chances of being gobbed-off at are pretty high!

11. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

Doesn't happen up north ................ everyone here complains about the same thing whether they are remain or leave - the government. Seems to me southerners are a different breed ...
    (some southerners)

12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

You could be right @Pageant, I was thinking I hadn't heard any public discussion of Brexit at all. I voted Remain and I haven't spoken to anyone who voted Leave (or anyone who admits to it) although I live in a Leave voting area. The only one I can think of was a decorator we had prior to the Referendum who was definitely of the UKIP variety although young, bearded and hipster looking. I wouldn't employ him again - he's entitled to his opinions but when he started spouting off about it I had to leave the room.

fraisier, ilovesooty and FrankWolley like this.
  13. fraisier

fraisier Occasional commenter

14. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I did point out many months back but was ignored, that parallels are being drawn between the civil wars of England. There the 'ordinary ' people took sides either for royalty and parliament. That split was very much a North v South divide. Very much a religious question as well.
    It was suggested that the underlying grievances stemming from Brexit might bring about a split in the nation. But unfortunately, it would seem there are those who think you can attack and cohearse with forces others I to your point of view are still around. There were those who in the Scottish referendum who reputedly sought to use 'force' to get others to vote for the leave view, In the end, the public made a choice, but it does not mean the unsettled, beaten group, have given up hope.
    Now your post suggests some of the more volible and active believers of a view beiw you can change and threaten by force. I would be interested to know if its a one-off event, or a regular one.

15. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Interesting points, but it really wasn't just a 'north-south' divide...much more complex (bit like Brexit!:D)

Mind you, Parliament had London then & went on to win...So do you expect Remain to win and Boris Johnson/Nigel Farage to be beheaded?;) I do hope so!:D

16. oldsomeman

Yes, I accept that, Really needs a historian with the time to write the essay lol
    Not sure about beheading....otherwise lots of other possible candidates spring to mind!

17. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I suspect this note would have led to another 'aggressive confrontation' if the could have been found:

Student nurse, 21, mistaken for a foreign student is told to 'go home' in a 'vile' note left next to her sleeping pod in a university library
    • Charlotte Brien, 21, a student at Manchester University, found the note yesterday
    • It said: 'First you took our jobs, now you're taking our pods. Brexit means Brexit'
    • Third-year student Ms Brien, from Manchester, was 'incensed' by the note

[​IMG]

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...aken-foreign-student-told-home-vile-note.html

Will Self was right when he debated with Mark Francois...

Author @wself “You seem to find a lot of things outrageous...What I said was every racist and anti-Semite…probably voted for Brexit”#politicslivehttps://t.co/pVHd9QGUD9pic.twitter.com/XA1TXxuWCd

cissy3 and emerald52 like this.
  18. colpee

colpee Star commenter

:D:D

19. borges33

borges33 New commenter

[
    Interesting to see you talk of 'force' reputedly being used by pro-independence campaigners. In actual fact, the vast majority of those who faced criminal charges were on the 'unionist' side.
    It doesn't surprise me in the least. The amount of lies and misinformation that was being served up during the Independence Referendum has left a sour taste.
    The same tactics that were used during that 2014 debate, were used again during the Brexit debate. Many Scots recognised this and voted in great numbers to Remain. Latest polls also suggest that if Scotland were to call another Independence Referendum, the results would be approximately 60/40 to leave the UK.
    I don't think it's a North/South divide. I think it's people realising that they've been sold down the river....again!
    It reminds me of the poll tax demos. Thatcher introduced the poll tax to Scotland a year earlier than the rest of the UK. Scots were up in arms, but largely ignored by the mainstream media. A year later, the demos in England saw the swift end of the poll tax.
    Dividing, conquering, spreading lies and having a compliant media is what Westminster does best. You can bury a lot when the general public are confused and angry.

monicabilongame and sodalime like this.
  20. oldsomeman

The view from a lot of the crafters was that had independence happened they would have left Scotland, despite many of them having lived happily there for many a year!
    Interestingly a load of cobblers.
    During that time I spoke to a lot of crafters who hailed from different parts of Scotland. They meet together in London for a meeting about the subject they specilised in. There experiences are not as you portray.
    Among the tactics used where:
    Door to door calling and an expectation you will vote for leave. When challenged they 'claimed(but not proved) that hey represented the `SNP.`
    Harnessing folks in the street to demand the vote leave with veiled threats of revenge in some cases
    Other being demanded of to display leave posters in their window, Refusal of which got you branded a Scot hater by the young door to door visitors.
    They had on occasion when they were having a pro-union, meeting when it was invaded by pro-leavers and the place was in an uproar
    It was not as if you could call the police.... intimidation in an area means they get you even if you report some of them!
    Now I realise these are somebodies views and comments, but the wolf packs seemingly did make it clear that failure to vote for leave might be met by some form of retaliation,Fortunately, the vote was confidential and so they were unable to determine who voted what.